Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #1 
FancyFins

Tail biter caught in the act!

So I have been wondering what was going on with Ringo's tail. He is a happy fish (blew me my first bubble nest last week) so I was afraid maybe he had snagged it on something and gotten finrot. I upped his water temp a bit to 82* and added some aquarium salt. Then this morning I finally caught him! He was sitting on the bottom of the tank curled up and then I saw him nip at his tail A few minutes later I saw him do it again.I think it is out of bordom because surely if it were from stress he wouldn't have built a bubble nest.... ugh!
FancyFins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #2 
xxabc

You know what, I JUST caught mine too. Just about to make a thread on it, but hopefully you won't mind. Except mine may be out of stress instead. It's a HUGE chunk! Two of them! Oh, this is depressing. He even just healed from finrot. Mine also blew a bubble nest, but that's gone...
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #3 
FancyFins

Aww I'm sorry to hear about your guy! That really stinks.... especially with it being big chunks!
Old 02-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #4 
xxabc

Yes, hopefully yours is faring much better. Mine is in a divided and took notice to the other betta. The weird thing is, he's already taken notice to the neighbor, and only now begun to bite himself.

Well yours is out of boredom, and I think that's easier to help. Where is he in the house? Anything to play with inside the tank? Any traffic outside the tank?
Old 02-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #5 
FancyFins

He is in my room, not much traffic at all. and he just has a few plants, I'm gonna get him fixed up with something nice though. He is in a 10 gallon divided but he doesn't pay much attention to his neighbor at all. His neigher, Flare, well... flares at him a lot but Ringo has never flared back. Usually when Flare is doing his thing Ringo isn't even facing him.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:35 AM   #6 
xxabc

I could imagine he's bored. Would you say his tank is crowded though? Betta's tend to favor crowded then not-so-crowded. I don't put mine in my room, 'cause I personally don't have out there much. Instead, they go in the living room where's there's more action going on. And same with mine ... one is flaring like crazy (tailbiter!) and the others like "...What."
Old 03-01-2010, 07:47 AM   #7 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I've had a couple tail bitters and it's sooo frustrating! It can be hard to pinpoint what's causing it because it can be a number of things. Is the temperature in the tank 76-80 degrees? FancyFins- You said that he doesn't flare at his neighbor, but do you see him hiding? Some bettas are more aggressive than others and he could feel threatened because his neighbor is constantly flaring at him. Some bettas love the company of another fish and some want to be alone. If you have an extra tank, I'd take him out for a couple days, put lots of plants and hiding places in it, warm the tank up with a heater, turn the lights off, put some salt in there and see if he continues to bite his tail. It's like us with biting fingernails when we're stressed out or nervous.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #8 
FancyFins

Gonna be short and sweet at the moment cuz I'm on the blackberry lol. I keep his tank at 80 degrees same as all my tanks. It could stand to be more crowded so I will get him more plants. And he doesn't hide at all. He will swim up and check out his neighbor and then come see me. I'm gonna give him more cover though.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #9 
xxabc

Yeah, I need more cover for mine too. He hasn't bitten himself in a while, thankfully. BUt guess what, my other betta has severe tail damaged. But it's DEFINITELY from something physical. I don't get it! Every single plant is a silk plant! And by bad, I mean bad. It's shredded, but oddely enough, shredded evenly and straightly, so I know it's from one thing at one time. I have no idea what it can be.

Yeah, I would get more cover as a start.