Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #1 
iluvflair

Unhappy What do I do with my bettas?

When I was young and naive, I bought three bettas that I kept in single-gallon tanks. Just recently I moved one (Flair, hence the screen name) into a 5gal with plenty of gravel, plants (real and fake) a heater, and even an ADF, who he seems to get along with. The problem is, I have neither the room nor the money to do this for all of them, and I feel terrible for their itty bitty tanks and cold water. What do I do with the others?
iluvflair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #2 
xxabc

If you yourself feel unable to properly take care of them, the best thought in my mind is to give them away to
People you can TRUST that will take care of them properly. I would never, ever sell them to a store. I'd rather stress myself and just take care of them on my own then send them back there. Or you could sell online (no newbie betta beginner would consider buying online when they could just go to a LFS).

But, are you unable to actually put them in warmer rooms? And do water changes?
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:39 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can buy a 5 gallon tank and divide it. Welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #4 
xxabc

Can't believe that slipped my mind -
Try to divide it into two, which is what I did. You'd still have your third betta, but at least you can properly house two.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #5 
Aldes19

Hello ^-^

Hello, my name is Amanda and I am new to this forum...But not new to raising bettas. I guess this is my hey hello intro to the forums... o.o'...

You say you moved one of your fishies into a 5gal tank...why not divide that 5gal and put two fishies in there. Then keep one in a 1 gal or find a cheap 1.5 2 gal tank... ^-^

Just a thought/idea...hope it helps ya some...

I also think it was mentioned before me.

Goodluck and don't stress.
Aldes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #6 
Noko

I only recommend dividing tanks that are 6+ gallons, but I guess you could do it with a 5 gallon. May I suggest returning the 5 gallon tank if possible and just get a 10 gallon tank. A 10 gallon tank can be divided into three sections and you only have to get one set of supplies. Another idea is to divide the 5 gallon tank and get a kritter keeper that is a decent size. You can save money by not getting a filter, but you would have to keep up with water changes. Just remember to get a heater!
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #7 
Chicklet

You know, Yard sales are coming in a few more months,
You can oft times get some pretty darn nice aquariums real cheap,

Around here 5-10 gallons go for about 3 bucks on yard sales if you watch closely you can gather lots up that way..

I know thats a few months away, But it's good to keep in mind should you get the chance to go when the time comes..

Later is always better then nothing
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

Why not just get a couple of cheap plastic tubs and make tanks out of them until you can save up for two more big aquariums. You can also try thrift stores or flea markets/yard sales. I found a 4 gallon tank for $8 at my thrift store.

I don't like dividing 5 gallons.. IMO I wouldn't divide a tank unless each betta had 3 gallons apiece.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #9 
veganchick

you could get some 2.5g bowls for about 5 bucks each and stick a heating pad up to them.
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #10 
xgoingdownx

I have a 2.5 gallon with a small heater that cost about $10, it heats a 3 gallon and under tank. It does a good job of keeping my tank at a steady 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit.
xgoingdownx is offline   Reply With Quote