Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2010, 08:31 PM   #1 
Noko

Cloudy eye

Seems like I spend my time stressing out over my bettas. I think I am making my fish feel sick because I constantly worry about them. Anyways, here is my problem. I have one female betta that has two cloudy eyes. The major issue is that she is in a tank with three other girls. I just put them in together last night. Her right eye was cloudy, then her left eye went sorta cloudy. Now her right eye is only a little bit cloudy, while her left eye is really cloudy.

I just checked my ammonia level, and it was at .5 ppm, so I am going to do a water change. All other parameters were tested yesterday, and were fine. The temperature is around 76-77 degrees.

I had all my girls in quarintine for two weeks, and they all looked fine. The three other girls still look fine (except for a few fins being bitten and ripped). I am going to put the one girl in a 1.5 gallon tank with some fresh water and some hiding spots. Does anyone know what might be wrong with her?
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I haven't dealt with cloudy eye but I found this website that you can look at if you want: http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-heal...oudy-eyes.aspx Here's a great video: http://www.videojug.com/expertanswer...-do-i-treat-it
Do you just have 3 girls in together? Female sororities should have 5 or 6 females in no less than 10Gs. He said in the video that when fish fight they usually attack the eyes first. 3 girls just spells trouble. 2 usually gang up on the 3rd.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #3 
Noko

I have four girls. I read on multiple posts in this forum, and others that this was the minimum. I have them in a ten gallon tank that has many hiding spots. I have done my research, so I do know what I am doing for the most part. The video was helpful. My one girl was probably attacked by one of the others.

I don't have experience with cloudy eye either, but I was wondering if she was attacked if it would go away. Would it go away by itself, or would I have to put some medications or anything like that in the tank. I was researching cloudy eye last night, but I didn't have much luck.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Oh ok. I thought you just had 3 girls. I hope someone can answer those questions for you. Good luck and I hope she gets better! :)
Old 02-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #5 
Noko

Thanks! I think she was attacked because her right eye is now all better (for the most part) while her left eye looks the same. I never knew that fish went after the eyes of other fish when attacking. My dominate female has been flaring at everyone and attacking the thermometer that is floating around. I did my research, but I never knew that my girls would do some of the things they have done! I guess you have to experience some things in order to know them.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #6 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yeah, I couldn't believe that either when I heard it. I guess that makes sense though. If you attack the eyes, it's easier to kill because they'll be blinded.