Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #11 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yeah, they can live up to 7 years in pristine condition. I agree with Noko, the bigger the tank, the better.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:39 PM   #12 
GiggleGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noko View Post
A year and a half isn't a long time just so you know. Most bettas live much longer.

I think you should just go and get the five gallon tank. You can return the one gallon once you have the five gallon all set up and your betta in it. Also, you will need to do more water changes in a one gallon. I would also get some aquarium salt and add some to your tank (I wouldn't be able to tell you the correct dosage) to help heal and prevent this sort of stuff. I have never used aquarium salt, but I have heard good things about it with betta fish with fin rot.

Are there any other signs of illness? Clamped fins, cottony stuff on him, is he bloated, etc...
Yeah he is having a hard time staying balanced...keeps floating to his side. My boyfriend was looking into it more and we've come to the conclusion he also has Swim Bladder Disorder besides the fin rot. I wish there was something I could do right now. I already tried the pea solution but he won't eat. Hopefully he can survive the night.
GiggleGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would try daphnia instead of peas. It's more natural and healthy for them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #14 
GiggleGoddess

My Betta finally croaked this morning so I took him back to Petco and got a refund. I went to Walmart and bought the 5 gallon glass tank. I can't return my 1 gallon b/c it was on clearance so I'm going to put it up on Ebay. I also went to Petsmart this evening but they were out of all the 25 watt heaters I needed, go figure. This time I'll take my time setting up the tank even though Artemis had SBD and Fin Rot since getting him at the store...I wish they took better care of their fish.
GiggleGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #15 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I'm sorry to hear about your fish. Hopefully you'll have better luck when you get another one.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #16 
Epickim227

Exclamation answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo2904 View Post
I was about to post the same thing, my RT betta (Lippy) is doing the same, hanging from the surface, but when he does swim around he kinda 'jerks' about like sudden movements, he's got no white fungal stuff on him, so dont think he's itching anything... he looks fine & is eating like a horse, but he just hangs at the surface alot.......theres four other males sharing the divided tank he's in all fine, its just him.

gonna read my fish health book in abit, see if i can find something to answer this.... here's a picture of mine

Attachment 9311

Attachment 9312
You Said you have 4 bettas in a divided tank right? Well... Bettas are very territorial.. So I reccomened buying another tank.
*Disclaimer* I'm not rude, I'm blunt because I care.
Epickim227 is offline   Reply With Quote