Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2010, 07:17 AM   #1 
AnamCara

Red face Need A Little Help

Hello all,

My daughter is getting her first Betta today, and just wanted to ask a couple questions to better help us care for our soon to be new family member.. The tank has been set up already with a filter, everything prepared, (using bottled spring water), purchased a PH test kit, and some AquaSafe water conditioner.. Just awaiting the Betta..

1- When do we have to start doing ammonia and nitrate tests? how soon after we introduce Betta into it's new home?

2- how often do we have to do both of those tests?

3) in regards to the AquaSafe water conditioner, is it necessary if we're
using bottled spring water, and if so how much is needed for a 1 1/2
gallon tank and how often do we add it?

any help would be appreciated... and thank you in advance!
AnamCara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

That's so exciting! I've heard that bottled water lacks in some key nutrients that the bettas need. It's safe to use tap water, but you have to put in water conditioner. The bottle should give you instructions how much to put in per gallon of water. You put the water conditioner in every time you do a water change. I use API water conditioner and love it. A lot of people on here use Prime. We recommend 2Gs or more for the tank size. The 1.5G will be ok for a little bit, but they will grow a couple inches. We recommend 2Gs or more because you can safely heat it. They need a temperature of 76-80 degrees F. You don't have to use the filter with a tank that small, but you can if you want. A 1.5G should be cleaned twice a week 100% because the ammonia can build up very fast in a tank that small. Bigger tanks are easier because you wouldn't have to clean it as much. I don't know anything about the PH test kit, so hopefully someone can help you with that. They also love hiding in silk plants and hiding places (you can make them if you don't want to buy them). Good luck and we love seeing pictures of everyones fish!! :)
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:54 AM   #3 
AnamCara

I appreciate your advice! i'm trying to work out the amount of AquaSafe for the 1.5 gallon tank as we speak.. im awful with math so this is a challenge! lol

it does say 1 tsp. per 10 gallons of water.. unfortunately my tank isnt 10 gallons pity they dont put the amounts on there for multiple sized tanks to save the mathmatically challenged individuals like myself from having fits while figuring it out! grrrr

Now onto another question that you've made me ponder, what is the least stressful way of removing the betta from the tank while doing weekly cleanings, if the tank needs 100% changes? sorry for 50 questions this morning! I did buy my daughter a little temporary holding tank with a lid to put Betta in while we clean the tank...
AnamCara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:57 AM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Don't feel bad at all for asking questions! We love it when new betta owners ask questions before they get one so they're fully prepared. I know.lol I wish they gave a list of every possible G so we didn't have to figure it out. I net my fish when I do water changes. Some cup them. Make sure that when you're getting ready to net or cup them that you take out all the plants and decor so you have a safe clean sweep. He'll get stressed out for the first couple times, but than he'll get used to it. My oldest betta who's going on 2 years swims into the net for me because he's so used to it.haha
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #5 
Chicklet

I wouldn't use the bottled spring water, (head of trouble before it starts)
Tap water is best just be sure to treat it first,

Cupping the betta is better and far less stressful on your fish.

Ammonia starts to build the instant you put the fish in the tank.
The smaller the tank the quicker it reaches dangerous levels,
Every day it should be tested until it is fully cycled,

In an uncycled tank you will only need to start checking the ammonia first, Once the ammonia starts to lower then you know the nitrites are starting to grow and you'lll need to start monitoring the nitrites then as well,
Once the ammonia drops to yellow, then you no longer have to check the ammonia everyday, just the nitrites, Once the nitrites start to drop you know your getting Nitrates growing, From that point on you only need to check your level once a week or if you suspect a problem in the tank..
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote