Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2010, 08:46 AM   #1 
kheiss

Exclamation Help me please!!!!!!

ok, so last night i made my bf buy this beautiful betta from wal-mart. i mean, its gorgeous. its white with white fins that have blue and purple spots...LOVE IT. anyways, i noticed a shinier white are around his gills??? ICK?? i bought some ick tablets for it and dropped them into the tanks and will continue to follow the instructions for the ick treatment...my bf is a dumb dumb and lost his lamp so im gonna try and buy the fish a lamp for some heat tomorrow...i told him to feed the fish three pellets this morning and it would not eat...however, these are Wardly pellets....they seem big. I also have a betta who is happy as can be and i give him Tetrafin Betta Food...however the pet store was out...PLEASE I NEED ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO TO HELP THIS POOR FISH!!!
kheiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:16 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Are you sure it is ich? it should look like white grains of salt, some bettas have a metalic sheen to them.
I am a naturalist and I don't use the OTC medication due to them being so stressful on the fish and the long term effect they can have on both the tank itself and the livestock.
I use natural methods that has worked well for many years by following the parasites life cycle. I use these methods with both ich and velvet.

First I raise the temp slowly to 86F, this will speed the parasites life cycle and the parasite will fall off the fish and this is when you can kill it and/or remove it, also it is reported that ich can't reproduce in water temp greater that 85F.
I sometimes but not always use aquarium salt 1tsp/gal, but I never use it for longer than 10 days due to the long term effects it can have on the kidneys of the fish.
I make daily water changes vacuuming the substrate really well to manually remove the parasite from the tank.

Sometimes I use the two container method, to do this I move the fish every day to a new container and clean the old one for 3 day past the last time I could see the parasite on the fish.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

Can you get any pictures? Sometimes fish just have metallic scales around their gills.. like my guy Fish.. It might not be ick at all.

Also you should really get a heater as opposed to a lamp.. because when you turn the lamp off at night the temperature swing can really stress out your fish. Wardley's pellets are pretty good... some fish won't eat for a few days up to even a week after you get them... just give him some time to settle in. What size tank is he in?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:39 AM   #4 
kheiss

thanks guys for all your help. however, my boyfriend is a dumb dumb and allowed his four year old sister to put in the ick tablets....well when he got back she put in like five....fish is dead...but she was only four years old so she didnt know any better. its just sad because it was a beautiful fish :(

we will be cleaning out the tank and purchasing him a new, less sick betta :)

Last edited by dramaqueen; 03-02-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #5 
kheiss

Just so everyone knows...apparently ick tablets will kill your betta immediatly :(
Old 03-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #6 
1fish2fish

Thats why I only use natural remedies to treat my fish. Much safer IMO
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:57 PM   #7 
Jessafall

Oldfishlady---you should make a thread for your natural home remedies. as I'm a soon to be new betta owner, and don't like feeding or giving my pets anything that can harm them.
Jessafall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #8 
xxabc

I second Jessafall's idea, lots of people can gain a lot from natural remedies. Like me - i detest medications.
And I'm serious, I'm actually sick right now (had to miss school. Score - three day weekend), lol - and I haven't taken any medication. I may be just saying this, but I feel better anyways.

*Ahem* Anyway, yes, I would love a thread on your natural remedies, I could use more.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #9 
bloo97

Quote:
Ick Tablets will kill your betta fish immidiatly

Thanks Kheiss! I D K!
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote