Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2014, 10:04 PM   #1 
MrBettaFishKid

Is a Sorority right for me?

Hey everybody. I have a male betta fish named Ricky. He's great and one of the things I love most about him is how he is interactive and appears to pay attention to me. This makes it extremely easy to teach him tricks because he watches everything I do. Anyway... I was thinking about getting a sorority of female fish but didn't know if they would really like me or if they'd just go off and hang with each other only. I'm aware each betta has it's own personality but does anyone know how they generally behave?
Also what's a good size tank for a small sorority (3 or 4) and how would I assure that each betta got food and one girl didn't take it all for herself. I'm thirteen years old and want to make sure taking care of a sorority wouldn't be too difficult for me.
MrBettaFishKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:10 PM   #2 
Betta Nut

Well, no, I wouldn't reccomend you get a sorority. They are very risky, and you need at least 10 gallons minimum and 4 or 5 females. The tank has to always be pristine and cycled. You have to spend a fortune on plants so it's stuffed with hiding places.They do not "hang out together", they actually usually really dislike when their space is invaded by another one.

Females all by themselves though, are charming. They are curious, interactive, and loveable! You'd enjoy just one girl much more, in her own home by herself :)
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:13 PM   #3 
MrBettaFishKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Nut View Post
Well, no, I wouldn't reccomend you get a sorority. They are very risky, and you need at least 10 gallons minimum and 4 or 5 females. The tank has to always be pristine and cycled. You have to spend a fortune on plants so it's stuffed with hiding places.They do not "hang out together", they actually usually really dislike when their space is invaded by another one.

Females all by themselves though, are charming. They are curious, interactive, and loveable! You'd enjoy just one girl much more, in her own home by herself :)
Thanks this helped a lot. So I won't get a sorority. I figured it would be a lot of work but I thought it might be fun. I have two tanks ready so I might just get a female!

Last edited by MrBettaFishKid; 04-17-2014 at 10:15 PM.
MrBettaFishKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:23 PM   #4 
Betta Nut

It's always good to ask first before plunging in :)

Even the most experienced betta keeper who does everyhting by the book with a sorority, can have it fail miserably, and have to rehome all the fish. If they even survive. I got lucky with mine, but I think sometimes half the battle is being super lucky with what personalities you end up with. I think it's fair to say over half end badly.
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:41 PM   #5 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBettaFishKid View Post
I was thinking about getting a sorority of female fish but didn't know if they would really like me or if they'd just go off and hang with each other only.

If you are planning on swimming with them, I think they're going to leave you out and hang with each other. If you plan on feeding them, they're going to love you!
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #6 
jag14

I got lucky with my group of 4. The 10 gallon tank is not as heavily planted as it could be, but still a lot of decoration and hiding places. They fought a little the first day, but since then no problems. I was prepared if I had to divide the tank, I had a divider and another 3 gallon tank ready if nec.
jag14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:00 PM   #7 
jaysee
Reference Team

With all due respect jag, your fish haven't been together for 2 weeks yet - it's a little soon to fly the victory flag considering the fish live for years.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:36 AM   #8 
Blue Fish

I agree with the others, a sorority is just a big commitment...and not something to be taken on lightly. If nothing else, they can become ridiculously expensive, particularly if you have to separate all the girls.

I totally agree with Nut, one girl in her own tank, or even two girls in a divided tank (Just don't mix males and females in the same tank, even divided, because the hormones they give off to one another will make them crazy and can cause issues with egg-binding in the female.) and they'll be happy and interactive little fishies. :)

I have a sorority and have for about a year and a half now...but they're living in a 40g breeder with a ridiculous number of live plants...I can't say that I wouldn't do it again, because I do enjoy them, but I'd definitely think twice. :) When these guys are gone, the 40g will most likely become either a goldfish tank (for the smaller, fancier guys...until they get too big and require a 100+g size) or some sort of a community. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote