Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #1 
benjaminBreaker

Getting a Betta!

I'm going to get a Betta soon, an awesome one! Anyway, I just have a few questions about the tank mates...I want to get a Red Devil Crowntail Betta, and wanted to put him in a 10 gallon tank with some Cories, and maybe a snail.
First, is a 10 g big enough for the betta to not be aggressive toward the cories or snail?
Second, cories will keep the gravel clean, right?
Third, do cories eat algae? Will the snail be able to get enough food?
Fourth, and final, if I put in live plants, will the betta, or the cories eat them?

I ask because just put some java moss in with my mollies and platies and they ate it...

Thank you in advance! :D
-Ben
benjaminBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

A 10 gallon would easily fit 3 corys (they must be in groups of at least 3) and a snail with a betta. You must cycle your tank before adding the corys though because they are very sensitive to the water conditions.

No animal will completely keep your tank clean.. as they say.. everybody poops. You'll need to do a weekly or biweekly water change and vacuum your substrate.

Whether or not your betta will be aggressive depends on his personality.. so you need to have another tank on stand by in case your betta starts to feel stressed or overly aggressive towards your other fish.

Corys and snails will both eat algae but you need to research their individual requirements for food and such. A new tank is not going to have enough algae to support one snail let alone a snail and corys so you'll need to buy them food.

Corys, snails (depending on what type you get), and bettas don't eat plants.. to my knowledge. Bettas are insectivores, snails and corys eat algae.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #3 
PRichs87

Cory's need to be kept in groups of at least 6 actually, I wouldn't put them with your betta. Think about shrimp instead!
PRichs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:17 PM   #4 
SaylorKennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRichs87 View Post
Cory's need to be kept in groups of at least 6 actually, I wouldn't put them with your betta. Think about shrimp instead!
I had 3 cories and they were happy little fellows together.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:55 PM   #5 
vaygirl

My corys have never eaten a lick of algae so if yours are like mine, a good sinking shimp pellet is good to have on hand.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #6 
Jupiter

I've never heard of Cories eating algae, but your tank should be fine. Hopefully your betta won't be aggressive to his tankmates.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #7 
PRichs87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaylorKennedy View Post
I had 3 cories and they were happy little fellows together.
I'm just telling you that the more you have the better and most people here would tell you to get at least 5 or 6 in a group.
PRichs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:13 AM   #8 
Hadouken441

Cory's will only eat algae if they are starving and its the only source of food. Dont rely on them to eat algae.

Live plants is the only way to go in my opinion. Betta and cory will not eat your plants but some snails will.

I found out that if theres enough stuff to look at in your tank, your betta will be too occupied and curious to give a crap about other fish. My betta is always trying to fit herself between plant stems and some of my Anacharis and she likes squeezing herself into my Japonica.

Also, Cory's are pretty sensitive if not acclimated correctly. Im not going by what I read, im going by experience. Do it slow. I literally take 2 hours to acclimate my fish and even longer for my shrimp.

A good snail to get once your take is established is a nerite. Theyre really good looking, dont reproduce. Theyll lay eggs but they'll never hatch unless in brackish water.

From what i've learned and from personal experience, all fish like a real environment. Driftwood for sucker fish because its what they really suck on in the wild and my cory's love "sniffing" this thing, and live plants for natural cover and oxygen. Bettas really are super hardy animals and can live in some crazy tanks and less than perfect conditions but other fish do a lot better under more of a live surrounding.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:20 AM   #9 
Hadouken441

If you want a super super easy and very low maintanance planted tank heres an idea of one. Stole this from google

Right off the top I can see
Java moss
Anubias
Japonica
A beautiful driftwood
Wendtii Green

All of this can grow very very easy. And it gives off oxygen and I think it looks a lot better than silk plants (just my opinion, I love plants lol)
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote