Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #1 
ZYI

New fish and new tank

First of all Hi, lol been reading these forums for a day and a half now, lots of use full info here.
Okies now for my question.
So a day and a half ago my cousin bought me this absolutly beautiful beta, this is not my first beta but it's been years since my last one. I lucked out and my mom gave me a hex tank she payed 70 bucks for and only put fish in once. I reused the rocks which I cleaned in the sink with a strainer and some hot water, but it seams I didn't get out all the strings from the live plants she had in there "GRR" I had washed them several times. I thought I had it all gone till I filled up the tank and placed all the stuff in it poured the softener "the one for betas" in it and turned on the filter then the bubble bar. then all this gunk seamed to appear out of no where. I left it over night with the heater on and the filter running. It seams the water looks clear now but I still see a few things the movement of the water uncovered.
So my question is this should I just use a gravel wand or should I just buy new rocks "they aren't that expensive?
I haven't moved the beta from his little jar that he came in but yesterday I replaced half his water I really think time is of the essence here with that tub it looks to nasty but I dono where else to put him till I figure out the large tank. Also I donno if the plastic plants I chose will hurt his beautiful fins.
Also I didn't just jump into this he was a present and I think he's beautifull I wanna take care of him right so whats my next step?

Also since the first new filter I put in there has junk on it now should I just throw it away and put in a new one?

Here is a pic of the tank.

Also how do I float the jar? it's not like a bag........
ZYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #2 
louu

I would ony buy new rocks if it bothered you having crud in your tank (I know it would get to me!) Or if you didnt like the colour, as any nasty bacteria or what not that might harm your fish would have died once the tank had fully dried. Though people will often wash out their used tanks with hot water and vinegar or bleach (rinsing the hoodle out of them) and I have even heard ammonia being suggested though I havnt seen it encouraged on this forum. But if you do this you have to rinse them to the point of insanity and ensure that NO bleach etc is left, cant stress that enough.

As for the filter if you are concerned about it, I would replace the media that isnt easily washed, so sponges, cottons that sort of thing. But if they are only a little dirty give it a good sqeeze out and it should be fine :)

You could try holding his cup into the water but I doubt you could hold him there for long enough to do much but it doesnt hurt to try if you want! A slow acclimation should be fine where you tip a bit of water out (into the sink not the tank) and put a little bit of fresh water in (tank water for when you are putting him into his tank) but this coud potentialy be done with fresh water that is aged with water conditioner and been tested for ph etc until you get him into his new home

I hope this is a good starting point and sorry its so long (hopefuly not too boring!)

Goodluck and congratulations on your new friend (would love some pics *hint hint*)
louu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #3 
ZYI

Well I gave up and introduced him to his new home. He seams to love the new tank he's been swimming all around. Can't tell if the likes the bubble wand or not but he seams to be swimming threw it ok. I have noticed that he's turned more red since yesterday is this something I should worry about? when we got him he only had a little red on his back fin and a little on his head now it seams he's alot more red.
I donno if that should be a cause for concern though.........?

Sushi

Taking a good pic of a fish is harder than I thought..lol
Old 03-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

Fish will frequently "color up" once they are in good conditions. Your tank looks really nice I just have a few questions so I can help you better.

What size is the tank? I'm thinking about 5 gallons?
Did you cycle it/ are you going to cycle it?
Do you have a heater yet?.. you didn't mention in your OP

Besides those questions you look like your doing a great job taking care of him! BTW Whats his name???
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:28 AM   #5 
Jupiter

I think I see a heater behind the wood, and s/he did mention leaving the heater on overnight.

Very nice tank though! Your betta is brightening up, which means he likes it too. ;)
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #6 
ZYI

My Fiance and I named him Sushi!
to answer your questions yes it's a 5 gallon and yes I did put in a heater the tank is staying a nice balmy 76 degrees.
As for cycling I have no idea as to what that is, or how to do it.
I am worried though I tested the ph of the water (with the liquid test) and it's at 7.6 the blue color how do I lower this to a decent lvl ......and what is a decent lvl?
Also why is it so high? could that be from the nasty water that was in his little jar he came in cause I didn't know how to get him from the jar to the tank so I slowly dipped the jar in the tank and let the waters mix.
Despite the blue ph thing he seams quite happy in his new home.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

You can search the forums for cycling.. I have to go to class in a minute so I can't bring up the thread.

7.6 pH isn't bad.. my tanks have that pH.. you probably just have really hard water like we do here. Don't try to bring it down because messing with the pH will cause more harm to your fish than you want.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:32 PM   #8 
Iamtracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYI View Post
Taking a good pic of a fish is harder than I thought..lol
LOL! That is the truth!!!

Nice tank!
Iamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote