Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #1 
Sprelay

advice for 3g "zen" betta tank setup

Hi all,

I just finished transferring my family of guppies and platies to my new 6g tank, so now I have a 3g that's fully cycled with nothing to put in it. I've been following this forum for awhile now to see if this would be suitable for a betta. My 6g satisfies my need for maximum lifeforms (fish, snails, shrimp, plants), so I thought I would try something more artistic for the 3g. I was thinking a zen theme would be cool to set up. Something minimalist, but not so bare that the betta would get bored. And of course, something visually interesting enough for me and my guests. If any of you have recommendations for cool setups based on this "zen" theme, from the color of gravel to the types of plants and decor, to even the type of betta, please let me know. I'm just starting research this idea, so I'm open to all suggestions.

Right now I was thinking black gravel with a large donut-shaped rock in the middle, and maybe a plant in each back corner. I was also researching making my own bonzai tree, but so far it looks way too tricky. I also think the bright red male bettas look really cool, but maybe there are better types out there that would fit this theme.

Thanks!
Sprelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #2 
kelly528

Google anubias nana and anubias nana petite. Very simple, elegant, 'zen' plants.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Your "zen" tank idea sounds great!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

Just remember.. when your doing minimalist themes you have to remember that bettas like lots of places to hide (plants and caves and such)
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:29 AM   #5 
Sprelay

Thanks for the suggestions! One question about the caves. Are cichlid stones suitable for bettas, or are they too small?
Sprelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #6 
1fish2fish

What are cichlid stones?.. as long as the betta can get in the cave, turn around, and get out without getting stuck it will work.. I prefer caves with more than one opening so the fish has options for getting out. Also make sure its very smooth so it doesn't harm the betta's fins
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #7 
kelly528

If they are easy enough for you to clean, go for it.

Also consider siliconing beach/river stones together to make caves. Looks very cool espescially with those smooth, black flat rocks you can find in craft stores.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:29 AM   #8 
RedBetta

Sounds pretty cool, I think tan sand like colored gravel would look cool, with a few big black rocks and a piece of curled bamboo or somthing.
RedBetta is offline   Reply With Quote