Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #1 
neekis

Question How often should I feed?

Me again - the new betta owner with the Nemo fish tank. I'm finding conflicting info on how often I should feed Neekis.

I have the betta gold pellets and also some freeze dried bloodworms. I just want to make sure that I don't overfeed. The pellet pkg states 2-3 pellets 3 times a day. That seemed to be a lot to me. The guy at Petco said every other day, 2-3 pellets. That seemed too little food. I would like to get others opinions on the matter.

Thanks much!
neekis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would feed 2-3 pellets twice a day.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #3 
neekis

Thanks so much!
Old 03-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #4 
iamtetsuo

I feed 5 pellets once a day 6 days a week. It would probably be better to feed 2-3 twice a day, but my schedule is too weird to allow me to do this. One day a week I fast my betta.

I give him a bloodworm once or twice a week as a treat.
iamtetsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #5 
doggyhog

I feed mine two pellets two times a day. Except for the big guys, they get three.
Calculated it, and I use an average of fifty-two pellets a day.. LOL No WONDER I have to buy food for them so often!

I feed bloodworms twice a week, brine shrimp once a week, and a different brand of pellets once a week. So, they only get normal pellets three days a week.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #6 
neekis

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtetsuo View Post
I feed 5 pellets once a day 6 days a week. It would probably be better to feed 2-3 twice a day, but my schedule is too weird to allow me to do this. One day a week I fast my betta.
What's the reason for the fast? I know I could probably look it up, but my time constraints are on the computer, since I have a 3 yr old!
Old 03-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #7 
neekis

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
I feed mine two pellets two times a day. Except for the big guys, they get three.
Calculated it, and I use an average of fifty-two pellets a day.. LOL No WONDER I have to buy food for them so often!

I feed bloodworms twice a week, brine shrimp once a week, and a different brand of pellets once a week. So, they only get normal pellets three days a week.
I can't imagine having that many fish to take care of! Cleaning the water has to take a lot of time!

Note: I saw a very SAD fish today at Walmart. The only betta there and only had a half bowl of dirty water! Almost bought it, but that's probably how you ended up with so many!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Fasting helps to clear out thheir digestive systems.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:40 AM   #9 
Jupiter

That's weird Doggyhog, I have a ton of food to spare! My fishfood is only about a quarter empty right now.

I feed my bettas twice a day. Normally they get two or three pellets. Sometimes I feed them bigger pellets, and the girls get one of those while the boys get two.
A good way to measure out your betta's food is to remember that their stomach is about the same size as their eye. Freeze dried food also expands in the stomach if you don't soak it, so be careful of that.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:02 AM   #10 
nochoramet

I feed mine 2 pellets 3 times a day, and fast them over Saturday and Sunday. I'll feed them a bloodworm every once in a while, but only use those as treats, they shouldn't be used for a regular diet.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote