Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #1 
Diogenes

New Betta Enthusiast Has a Few Questions

Hello All,

This is my first post on this forum.

I am a relatively experienced aquarist. I have been seriously keeping fish for the last 2 years, and I have kept everything from rare piranhas to angelfish and dwarf cichlids along the way. I currently have 3 tanks, 37g with a breeding pair of Archocentrus centrarchus (and friends), a planted 29g south american tank with dwarf cichlids, flame tetras, and cory catfish, and a 2 gallon hex with one male red crown tail betta. He's the reason I'm here.

I kept bettas when I was kid, but I didn't really know anything about them. I visited SE Asia last year and I was amazed at the plakats I saw in the markets. I picked up a betta just recently on an impulse buy to fill a vacancy left by the passing of my wife's goldfish (she shouldn't have put it in such a small tank to begin with), and I have been captivated by the little guy ever since.

Tank setup:

2g hex with air powered undergravel filter
1 light not sure the wattage or lumens (came with the tank)
1 big sprig of Anacharis that provides some cover

I haven't picked up a heater yet. It hasn't been an issue as of yet because I've been keeping the heat on in the bedroom where my betta is, and the tank temp has stayed above 75 degrees consistently, but I know he needs a heater pretty soon.

What kind of heaters do you guys recommend for a 2g hex?

Also, I tried to feed him some Omega 1 betta flakes but he ignored them. He also ignored the NLS cichlid pellets I feed my cichlids. He went a few days without eating, so i offered some tetra flakes and he snapped them right up. I know this isn't the proper nutrition. What should I feed him?

Any and all advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Diogenes; 03-02-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:43 PM   #2 
Jupiter

Welcome to the forum! You can get a Tetra heater at Walmart for about $11. They're pre-set to 78 degrees and do a fairly good job of heating a 2 gallon tank.

As for food, most people recommend Hikari bio-gold pellets. Sometimes bettas are picky and won't eat for a few days while they're adjusting to their new home. Just keep offering him food for bettas. He should eat eventually.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:47 PM   #3 
Diogenes

cool thanks! what do you guys recommend for hiding places? If he builds a bubble nest, could I add a female to the tank temporarily?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:51 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I wouldn't put a female with a male except for breeding purposes only. One will end up killing the other. Welcome to the forum, by the way. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:52 PM   #5 
Diogenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I wouldn't put a female with a male except for breeding purposes only. One will end up killing the other. Welcome to the forum, by the way. :)
yeah well that's exactly what I mean. I wouldn't keep the two of them in such a small tank permanently, but would it be big enough for them to breed in as long as I removed the male, female, or both shortly thereafter?

thanks for the welcome
Old 03-02-2010, 11:55 PM   #6 
nochoramet

Hello and welcome to the forum! I agree with what Jupiter said, but on the subject of a female: females and males shouldn't be kept together except for breeding purposes. And to breed you need at least a 10g tank, and the time, money, and knowledge of how to breed them. It's a big task (not saying you aren't up for it!) But please don't attempt it in a 2 gallon. Good hiding places usually used are leafy silk plants, and small caves and such. Make sure he can't get stuck in it. If you can't fit your thumb through it, it's too small. And run pantyhose over things to make sure his fins won't get caught and torn on them!
But congrats on your new little buddy! And if he builds bubblenests, that means he's happy and feeling his oats. err... pellets. Hopefully that helps, and I'm sure other members will give you some great advice that I might have missed.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:56 PM   #7 
Jupiter

I don't have any experience with breeding bettas, but I think a 2 gallon tank would be too small. I think the Breeding section would probably give you a better answer...

Bettas like plants (as long as they're not sharp enough to rip fins) and something they can swimm in and out of. A lot of people use clay pots as hiding spots, but it's up to you. Just make sure the hole isn't so small that he gets stuck in.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #8 
Diogenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochoramet View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum! I agree with what Jupiter said, but on the subject of a female: females and males shouldn't be kept together except for breeding purposes. And to breed you need at least a 10g tank, and the time, money, and knowledge of how to breed them. It's a big task (not saying you aren't up for it!) But please don't attempt it in a 2 gallon. Good hiding places usually used are leafy silk plants, and small caves and such. Make sure he can't get stuck in it. If you can't fit your thumb through it, it's too small. And run pantyhose over things to make sure his fins won't get caught and torn on them!
But congrats on your new little buddy! And if he builds bubblenests, that means he's happy and feeling his oats. err... pellets. Hopefully that helps, and I'm sure other members will give you some great advice that I might have missed.
roll tide roll ;)

I'm originally from Bham myself. How about you?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:58 PM   #9 
nochoramet

ROLL TIDE!! Whoo!! I'm from a little bitty town called Evergreen, but I'm going to Troy University in Troy ATM.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:15 AM   #10 
Diogenes

thanks for the help everyone