Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #1 
shards

Angry water problem

MAKE IT STOP!!!! i set up a 46 gallon a couple of months ago with the same tap water and conditioner and it was perfect( it's where i keep my three females, platys, mollies, tetras, etc.) but now that I'm setting up my male tanks the water is Poisson. what do i do to keep it cheap. Also i don't want to run to the fish store every time i set up a new tank.
shards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #2 
xxabc

I'm a little confused, unless I'm missing the obvious here. Is your water turning into POISON? If so, what exactly is "poison" to you. Are they dying off one by one? Learn the NITROGEN CYCLE if they are.

I don't know what your definition of perfect is, but mine is never doing water changes and having everything together happily. But that never happens, so I do water changes and keep fish away anyway, lol.

And the "running back to the store" - this is why a lot of people usually buy basic medication at the very start. I don't have a large list (I hate use of medications, but I still have some in that kind of emergency!) but there some good basic ones. Lol. Is this your first fish tank?

And how about a full, entire list of your fish, with head-counts on how many there are.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #3 
shards

the ammonia and nitrites are threw the roof. i medications but that only helps a little bit. ok now for the head counts
3 female bettas
1 sunrise platty
1 mickey rise (one of those feak things its a sunrise with a reverse mickey mouse)
1 zebra danio
2 black mollies
1 pot belly molly
5 ghost shrimps
2 male fancy guppies
1 female
5 guppies (to young for sexing)
2 allege eaters
and finally 3 rasboras
Old 03-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #4 
xxabc

You probably should have cycled before adding in that many fish. Not entirely sure on all of those fish - are you sure it's not overstocked? Seems like a big list, but I'm not too good on extreme varieties.

Did you add all of them at one time? And how long has the tank been running? How many water changes and how often?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #5 
xxabc

Sorry, mean to say * How BIG of a water change do you do and how often
Old 03-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #6 
shards

no those are fish in my 46 gallon and they are doing fine they are happy and very color full. im worried about my little 10 gallon i tested my 10 gallon and thats were everything was wrong.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #7 
shards

i found my solution. i did a little bit of an experiment and i boiled the water for 2 minutes. it brought it down drastically. looks like im going to need to find a 10 gallon pot
Old 03-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #8 
xxabc

Oh, well you never mentioned a 10 gallon...
Are you fishless cycling?
And I would forget boiling - You can't always just boil water to rid of ammonia and nitrates. That what water changes are for. If you really are fishless cycling though, I can't help you on that. I've only done (as cruel as it is) fish-in cycling.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:35 AM   #9 
Jupiter

I'm a bit confused too. Are you cycling your 10 gallon, or is the water already full of ammonia when you add it in? How often do you change the water? What medication are you using?
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #10 
shards

im cycling the 10 gallon and the water is full of the bad stuff when i put it in and after a week. im cycling fishless and i dont want to take the chance. i think its the filter so im putting in a 15 for a little more. i tried bowling the water and left it over night, but when i came back from school there were little things everywhere. thanks for the help and for jupiter im not using any except conditioner