Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2010, 07:38 AM   #1 
Min

Tank size & water change

I have my bettas in their own 3 gallon eclipse & 1 6 gallon eclipse. My question is...... If the water if being filtered do I need to still do 100% water changes? How often for a 3 & 6 gallon? I should know this from the time ive been on here but I am still fairly new to bettas & smaller tanks so im just not sure. Thanks in advance
Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #2 
doggyhog

I wouldn't do 100% changes, because then the whole filtration system would be wasted. Considering your tanks are cycled, you'd only have to do 25% changes a week on both. Make sure you syphon the gravel.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

Are your tanks actually cycled? or did you just put the fish in there, turn on the filtration, and let it go. Unless your tank is cycled you need to do full water changes or at least 80-90% water changes to fully remove the ammonia from the tank.

Except to aerate the water a filter is basically a waste of $$ if you don't cycle.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:23 AM   #4 
Min

No I did not Cycle prior . As a matter of fact I didnt even know what that was until I signed up on this forum.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:50 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

I would look into doing a fish in cycle... either that or you'll have to do full water changes every week.

Here's a thread I wrote explaining it..http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=34505
Old 03-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #6 
Min

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I would look into doing a fish in cycle... either that or you'll have to do full water changes every week.

Here's a thread I wrote explaining it..http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=34505
Perfect! Doesnt seem as difficult as I thought.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Its not but you have to make sure your dedicated enough to do the daily pwc's that are required to keep the ammonia low enough to not poison your fish. And a liquid test kit is a must.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:08 PM   #8 
Min

Quote:
Its not but you have to make sure your dedicated enough to do the daily pwc's that are required to keep the ammonia low enough to not poison your fish. And a liquid test kit is a must.

Should I do the initial test before I do the partial change tonight or after? Does it matter?
Old 03-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

I always test before doing the water change. Water changes can skew your results right after you do them until everything settles back down.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:57 PM   #10 
Min

Quote:
I always test before doing the water change. Water changes can skew your results right after you do them until everything settles back down.

I want to thank you for the link on cycling a tank. If you never posted it in my thread I wouldnt have went out & got the kit only to find out my guys r lucky to be alive. I tested all my tanks & the 2 3 gallon tanks r high in ammonia (which is where my tail biter is) & my six gl is already in the cycling process. Im wondering if this is what my tail biter has been trying to tell me.

Thanks again for the info
Malinda