Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #1 
Nauriel

Friend's betta is sick, I don't know what it is.

Hey! My friend recently went to Walmart, walked through the fish section, and ended up taking home a male and a female betta because they were in the same container!. She gave them to me to take care of and nurse back to health. The female is a bit beat up, but acts fine. The male (Redbud), on the other had, is not doing so well.

First of all, he's not eating. He's a healthy weight and I know its not uncommon for bettas not to eat when you first get them, but coupled with his other symptoms I think there might be something going on.

He's also floating at the top, perfectly still. Its not swim bladder, because when I tapped the water near him he had no problem sinking to the bottom.

He also doesn't move very much. I usually find him floating at the top, and when I tap him to see if he's still alive, he'll sink to the bottom. However, he doesn't move very much. It almost seems as if he has trouble moving back and forth.

It might just be my imagination, but I think his color has faded a bit as well.

He also seems to be breathing heavily. His gills are moving pretty hard.

Could this be the beginning of dropsy? I think his scales are beginning to pinecone out. (Again though, this could just be my imagination).

I don't think this would be old age. Even the bettas in walmart wouldn't be that old, would they?

Right now he's in a one gallon bowl with a heater. Its about 80 degrees. I do 100% water changes every day and I've had him for about 5 days.

Thanks for your help!
Nauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I really can't stand people who think it's fun to see bettas fight or think they'll get along fine with each other. Could you take a picture of him? His color is very dull because he's still probably really stressed out. I would make sure that you keep a close eye on the temperature because 1Gs are almost impossible to heat. Do you have a thermometer? Hopefully the heater shuts off once it's a certain temperature. I would keep putting some aquarium salt in his tank and lowering the water level so he doesn't have to swim that far to reach the surface. Oh and I would leave the lights off and put a towel over his tank to calm him down.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #3 
Nauriel

I know. I mean, who thought it would be okay to put them together? I hope it wasn't intentional, because those types of people make me sick.

But thanks for the advice. The heater that I have for the tank seems to be keeping the temperature very constant. Its always the same whenever I check it. I've been adding aquarium salt to his tank, and the water level is pretty low (so that there's enough surface area for the oxygen to get into the water.) I'll go put a towel over him and see if that helps.

Thanks again!

EDIT: I just went to check on him. He's now sitting on the bottom, tilting to the side. He's not looking too good :(

Last edited by Nauriel; 03-03-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Well you're doing everything you can for him and he's lucky to have someone who cares. :) Hopefully he'll get better. Just make sure that you keep checking the temperature regularly and it should be fine. Good luck!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #5 
Nauriel

Thanks

Could this be bleach poisoning? I just talked to the friend that bought them. She gave me the bowl and an ornament for his tank. Apparently she cleaned both with bleach. I've heard people do this with a 10:1 ratio, but she used a much stronger concentration. She rinsed it really well, but is that enough? I have a smaller temporary tank container I can move him to, but I won't be able to heat it. Should I move him?
Old 03-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #6 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Hmm I would move him. Even if she rinsed it really well, that doesn't mean that it's all gone. It would have to sit in water for hours; even then you don't know if it's all gone. I would get him another tank to be on the safe side. They have 3G critter keepers for $12. You can get a 5G with filter etc for $20 or $30. Some people think that the bigger the tank, the more expensive it is and that's not necessarily true. I bought a no-brand 2G at Petco for $20 and I love it. You just have to shop around. If the pet stores around you have websites, I would look online first and get an idea of their price ranges.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #7 
Chicklet

Quote:
I do 100% water changes every day and I've had him for about 5 days.
That's to much for a betta in his situation,
Leave him in the tank and do no more then 50% water change per day, with as little disturbance as possible,
Your over stressing him along with everything else,

The best thing he can get from you is peace and quiet, be disturbed as little as possible and most important the BIGGEST body of water you can give him,

This guy sounds like so many I have been given and brought home,
Clean cycled water, the bigger tank the better, peace and quiet, is the best you can do for him. and then as he comes around more some good food.

Really this guy needs a much bigger tank.
Some bettas that have been in those small cups to long will never totally get better, Their only real chance they have comes from a bigger tank.

As for the Javex, you've had him 5 days and doing 100% water change,
I doubt javex is an issue now if it ever was,

His problems sounds like so many others, these small cups/containers are the cause of his condition,

Also if these two fish are still together you need to separate them ASAP!

Last edited by Chicklet; 03-03-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #8 
Nauriel

Thanks for the replies. Don't worry, I separated them. I know that much, at least :P. I moved him into the temporary temporary tank, and then floated that in my ten gallon tank to keep it warm. Unfortunately, when I got back from class he was dead :(

I think it might have been the bleach. He seemed fine when we first got him, and seemed to get worse as the days went on. R.I.P Redbud.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #9 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I'm sorry :( RIP Redbud!
Old 03-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry qbout Redbud. RIP Redbud.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote