Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #1 
KayJay87

No Fish (yet) Cycle Question

Hi All!

I hope this is the right place to put this - sorry if it isn't.

So, I have been cycling my tank in preparation for getting my very first Betta. I have been testing the water and my cycle finished earlier this week and I had plans to get my new buddy this weekend, however, it's not going to be possible to get my fish yet and I don't have a date when it will be (although fingers crossed for soon) so I was wondering what I should do with my tank.

Do I keep adding the ammonia?
Should I beginning/continue water changes?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
KayJay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #2 
Sathori

What are your readings at right now? (Ammonia, Nitrites & Nitrates)

If you don't have a date as to when you will be getting your betta, you will need to make sure there is still ammonia in the tank for your bacteria. The bacteria needs ammonia in order to exist and convert it into nitrite, and then nitrate, and if there is nothing in the tank to produce ammonia naturally, you will need to add some.
As for water changes, I would personally only perform water changes if the nitrate level starts getting high (above 20ppm), but making sure that your ammonia remains around 0.
Sathori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:56 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Sathori has it right. Just dose 1.0ppm ammonia every few days to keep the bacteria healthy. If you're only stocking a Betta, that's plenty.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #4 
KayJay87

Ok, thanks. I have been adding the ammonia to up levels to 1ppm, so I'll just keep doing that.
2 days ago my readings were 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 80 nitrates, so I did a 50% water change and today my readings are 0.5 ammonia 0 nitrites and 0-5 nitrates (the colour is too dark for 0 but too light for 5). (I always have 0 nitrites, I used to test everyday and I never managed to get a reading for them... does that mean my tank hasn't really cycled?)
Also my pH is 8.2 (my tap water is 7.6) but that has held steady for two weeks.
KayJay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Some tanks have strong NOB (Nitrite Oxidizing Bacteria) they turn nitrite to nitrate too fast to read.

Other tanks suffer from persistent nitrite from weak NOB or too strong AOB.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fishless cycle, new tank