Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

Question Opinions:1 gallon tanks...

I know the bigger the better for bettas but I've been seeing a lot of people using bowls or 1 gallon tanks like this. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752291 I was just curious, are these tanks "okay" for bettas? I assume so, but only when like 100% water changes are done like every 2 days, what are your opinions on this? Plus can you use a heater?
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #2 
doubleatheman

I actually own the little tank you posted a link to above. I like it. Obviously I'm new here (like 4 posts, joined yesterday.) But People here told me at least 2, sure it will live in a 1 gallon, And my mom kept several Bettas in a 1 gallon in the past. they all lived several years.

I bought a little 7.5 watt heater for the one gallon, It was not automatic, it was always on, it kept the tank 10*f above my room temp, but if my room temp changed the tank would. No good.

I went to PetCo today and got a 2 gallon kit, for a few reasons:

1) So I can use a automatic temp heater, and not have to worry about flecuating temps.

2) The fish has way more room

3) Water changes a bit less ofton.

4) I can add more fake plants for hiding spaces for him, the one gallon gets tiny in a hurry.

5) Water currents are less in a larger tank (if you use the same size filter) I keep reading that Bettas like minimal current. I like using my Penn Plex small world filter to keep the water extra clean (we used these little filters for our betas in the past.)

I look at it this way, a 2 gallon costs about $8 more and it makes less work, and a more happy fish. Yeah it will live in a one gallon, but I wanted to make a happy fish. I didn't want to step off on the wrong foot with my first fish.

EDIT: Also a 2 gallon takes about the same amount of room, look at the 2 gal in that pic, the surface/desk space needed is about the same.
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:53 PM   #3 
PeachyKeen

I keep my betta in a one gallon fish bowl, just like this, and she is a very happy fish :) I keep her under a lamp all day so the water isn't too cold and I have a lid for it as well.
PeachyKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:27 PM   #4 
xgoingdownx

I had my betta in a 1 gallon bowl... he wasn't very happy. I didn't do everything I was supposed to either, though. I prefer having the 2.5 gallon tank with the light, filter and heater. I think he likes it a lot more too :) [he never made bubblenests and was very listless at first, now he's all over the place and has a bubblenest that has taken over the whole tank]
xgoingdownx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:44 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

I try not to use one gallon bowls if I don't have to... but as long as you have a heater I guess its ok. (peachy.. she really needs more than a lamp because the temp swings could really hurt her).

But if you can afford to go bigger I would.. its just easier.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:51 AM   #6 
BettaSCHmacK

I had my betta lewny in a gallon bowl for about 3 months because i didnt have the money for anything bigger. He seemed happy, (little did i know). I changed his water 3 times a week and all that good stuff. but when i bought him a 5g, i noticed a big change in his personality. he flares more, way more active, and he is constantly making bubble nest. (cuz i mess them up every water change).

i agree with 1fish2fish. if you can get a bigger tank, its easier. and its much much better for the health of your betta.
BettaSCHmacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #7 
SummerOj

well if the one gallons not too crowded and the water is cleaned frequently (and heated!) I see no problem with it as long as its not permanent.
SummerOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #8 
TeenyTinyTofu

I don't think a 1 gallon bowl/container is big enough. Will they survive? Yes. Just like a human can survive in a jail cell, doesn't mean they're happy though.

I thought Tofu was happy in a 2 gallon container. Looking back though, he wasn't. He moped and kind of just hung in one spot. Never built a bubble nest, never really swam around.

Then I bought him the 5 gallon tank kit at Walmart for $30, and he is insanely happy. Swims constantly, begs for dinner, and built the most gigantic bubble nest.

Upgrading to a bigger container is really not that expensive. A 1 gallon is like the cheapest of the cheap. I think they should be kept in something bigger though, and upgrading to at least a 2 gallon bowl is not that expensive. Even a 5 gallon tank isn't that expensive. For $30, I got the light, tank, and filter. All I needed was a heater.
TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #9 
puppyrjjkm

Thanks guys. I wasn't really thinking for myself I was just curious. I guess it would be handy for like a rescue betta. Since I already have 4 tanks set up, I wouldn't mind a little 1-2 gallon setup like this. It's faster for me just to do a 100% water change on one of those than like a 50% on a 5 gallon, or maybe I'm just lazy haha!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

For rescues its great. Jumanji and Levi will be in gallon tanks (well actually pickle jars) until I can get their tank set up and if I take in any more rescues they will be in one gallons indefinitely.

As far as the upgrades are always better thats not exactly true. Freddie Mercury went from one gallon to five gallons and he was not happy. I moved him back down to a 2.5 and he is the happiest fish I have. His colors are vibrant and he always has huge thick bubblenests. He also doesn't bite as often.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote