Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2010, 07:26 AM   #1 
dipsydoodlenoodle

Tankmates

Hello,

I'm interested in getting a betta fish; my tank is 7 gallons and I'm just needing to heat the water up (otherwise the tank is cycled) and find a nice betta; is there anything that would be suitable tank mates to go with the fish?

dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #2 
Jupiter

You could get a few ghost shrimp, a snaill, or a pair of African Dwarf Frogs.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

Are you sure your tank is cycled? NB Bacteria need heat to live.. so unless your tank was naturally 76* I doubt you have a properly cycled tank. Make sure your tests are reading 0ppm for ammonia and nitrite and 5-20ppm for nitrate.

In a 7 gall.. you could do ghost shrimp (4 or 5), 1 mystery snail, 2 amano shrimp, or 1 adf, you could do 2 nerite snails but I wouldn't unless you want them to breed.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #4 
xxabc

1f2f, nerite snails don't breed in freshwater. Or, at least, their eggs do not hatch. They need brackish water to do that. I think it's the other snails that breed like crazy (I believe mystery and/or apple, at least). For nerites, in terms of breeding, the worst would be finding eggs that are "impossible" to get rid of off the glass. I got this all off of research, but I don't see why the info could be wrong though.

I'm gonna be getting snails for my betta. I'm too scared to put shrimp in (I don't want the betta attacking them when they molt, etc.) But in terms of shrimp, ideally you could put a bunch in since their bioload is very little, although it's still not a good idea. For snails, you could definitely put a couple. That's all I know. Lol good luck choosing.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

oops.. Sorry.. I meant to say you could have 2 mystery snails but they might breed. I don't know where nerite snails came from LOL Thats what I get for posting on two different forums at once :p

You could get nerite snails.. but I've never seen them available at a LFS so you might have to get them online.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #6 
xxabc

Lol it's okay, most of the snails crazy breed anyway :P

Actually, my Petco has them, surprisingly enough. But they're the ONLY store I know that has them, so buying online wouldn't be a surprise.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Yeah I don't have petco here :( the closest one is 30 miles away in South Carolina.. thats too far a drive for me especially since they may or may not have the snails. I can't have live plants/ animals mailed to me at college so my only options are mystery snails.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #8 
xxabc

Ah, I see. That makes sense too... I guess I'm pretty lucky, my Walmart, Petco, and Petsmart are all in (a bit lengthy) walking distance between each other.

But, for the shrimp's case, what would you do when the shrimp starts molting? I wouldn't want shrimp to be attacked. And I don't know what caves they could be used in, without the betta also using it.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

Well if you have heavily planted tanks with something like Java Moss that is really thick that makes a good hiding spot because its too hard for the bettas to get in (if its really thick). You can also buy terra cotta pots and break them in half and stick the half in the gravel so the opening is only big enough for the shrimp to get into.. it would have to be really small so the betta wouldn't want to try to get in the cave.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #10 
xxabc

I've heard bettas attempting to go into the hole because of their curiosity, which is why most people completely block off the hole. I've heard of bleeding, and the like. Frightening if you ask me, which is why I got too paranoid with shrimp, and I'd rather take the snail method. Lol. Should be less chance of death, too.

I'm also too paranoid with adding other fish, since you reaaaaaally need to quarantine all fish before adding them in (I do NOT have that patience, sadly. I'll just go out and say it, lol). Plus, those are pretty risky, too. And they take up more bioload, so you can't add as much either.