Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2010, 07:47 AM   #1 
lilibutterfly

Need help!!

I have a betta who I believe had ick which I treated with "Revive" for several days. I keep him in a 1/2 gallon bowl which I was changing everday for 6 days straight. Boiling his rocks and cleaning the bowl with hottest water posssible then adding 1/2t sea salt as well as the revive. I had to go away for the weekend so he was on his own for 3 days. Returning I have found that his tail appears to be shredded and pieces are falling off. He is just hanging at top of bowl not moving very much, where before when he had the ick he would just borrow in the rocks at the bottom. I'm at a loss what to do to save this little guy! I really thought we were out of the woods. Any suggestions??
lilibutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

A 1/2G bowl is way too small for a betta. They need at least 2Gs or more. In a bowl that small, his fins won't be able to grow that long and he's probably shredding his tail because he's agitated. Also, you can't safely heat a 1/2G. They're warm water fish and need to be in 76-80 degrees F. They also love hiding in plants and hiding areas (you can make them or buy them). I haven't dealt with ick so I can't help you there.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to show you a picture of one of my VT's Valentino. He was in a VERY small bowl when I bought him and I've had him in a 2G tank for a couple months now and his tail just keeps growing. This just shows that more space makes them happier and makes their tails grow more. Some people think that smaller tanks are cheaper than bigger ones and that's not always the case. I bought this 2G no-name at Petco for $20 and I love it!
Attached Images

BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote