Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #1 
paws

Smile I am getting a fish.

I am getting a fish and I was hoping a betta fish. I used to have fish so I have two 10 gallon tanks and a 3 gallon one with gravel, platic plants, hide outs, and heaters. But i dont really know what to do. Can someone please explain what i should do to get my tank ready for a betta fish. Should I use the 10 gallon or the 3 gallon or should i get real plants. If i get real plants how do i care for them? Should i have a femal betta fish or a male one? Also what filter should i get? I found two whisper tetra filters but i need something that will be as silent as a mouse because i will keep him in my bedroom and i am a very light sleeper.
Thanks
Paws

Last edited by paws; 03-06-2010 at 08:07 AM.
paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

That's very exciting! If you're going to use the 10G I would recommend to cycle it. You can cycle it with the fish in it, but I'm not sure how that works. You could keep him/her in the 3G until the 10G finishes cycling. We recommend cycling tanks over 5Gs because there's no way you can do a 100% water change in a big tank. So this way when it's cycled, you just have to take some water out, put some in and siphon the bottom to get the poop. A lot of people would recommend live plants. I think java moss is a good beginner plant, but I'm not an expert. It's up to you if you want a male or female. They both have great personalities, I personally think females are nuts.hehe They'll try to get into anything and everything and can be jumpers, but males can jump too.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #3 
paws

Ok well. I completely washed out my whole tank from past fish and to get rid of unwanted bacteria b/c this fishtank had been sitting in the garage for about a year. I washed the gravel too to get rid of poop ect. Should I bake the gravel? So people said they did that to serilize it. If so what temperature should it be at and for how long? Also I need to have some sort of filtering system i have no idea what kind of filter to get so i need your help!
Old 03-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

You don't have to bake the gravel.. just rinse it really well with hot or even boiling water. I would suggest you use your 10 gallon but like BFC said you should cycle it first (Fishless cycle). Live plants are a great asset. Good beginner plants are Java fern, java moss, anubias, and crypts.

Getting a male or female depends on your preference. If you want a male you can only have one unless you want to divide your tank in half. You could have 4-6 females together but I don't suggest it for new betta owners.

For filters I like the tetra whisper in-tank filters.. they are very easy to buffer and are a great filter. There are more expensive and efficient ones but I believe they are louder.

The first thing you need to do is set up your tank. Make sure you have a filter, heater (25watt for the 3 gallon, 50 watt for the 10), a thermometer, gravel/ decorations/plants, test kit (API Freshwater master is a great one), bucket and siphon for water changes.

Next look up how to do a fishless cycle.. this is the safest method for new fish keepers. Start your cycle... it takes 3-4 weeks on average to do a fishless cycle.

While you are cycling you can research plants. The ones I listed are very easy to care for... all they take is a little fertilizer once a month or so. You can add your plants during your cycle.. it won't hurt them. Just make sure to rinse the plants off and make sure you pick out any snails that come in them and throw them away.

Then you can get your fish.. look up how to choose a healthy fish if you are getting it from a pet store. You can also purchase well bred fish from Aquabid.com but they are more expensive.

When you get your fish make sure you acclimate him or her slowly to the new water. It could take a few days up to a week for them to get used to their home so don't worry if it acts really shy or doesn't eat the first few days you bring it home.

If you have any other questions by all means ask :)
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:21 PM   #5 
paws

I have a lot of plastic plants and gravel and heaters and hide outs. I have read sponge filters work very well for bettas because they don't move the water very much.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Sponge filters do work good.. but I've heard air pumps can sometimes vibrate and be loud. I prefer power filters.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #7 
bloo97

Quote:
I used to have fish so I have two 10 gallon tanks and a 3 gallon one with gravel, platic plants, hide outs, and heaters.
Carefull with the plastic plants!
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #8 
paws

Why?
Old 03-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #9 
doubleatheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by paws View Post
Why?
They give humans paper cuts, and Bettas fin cuts! (At least others say so. And my plastic plant did cut me a few days ago.)

Buy some nice silk type plants, they wont hurt the Betta if he brushes up against them.
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

if you take a piece of panty hose and run it along the plant and it doesn't snag your fine to put it in the tank