Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #1 
Hopeful

Advice Needed

Alright I do not have internet at my home so I have not been able to keep you all updated.

So I got all My tanks and such, I went around looking for fish and found a Salamander Male(I believe that is what they are called Orange with green sheen and green butterflyish markings on the end of his tail) He has a mixed tail. I found a female who was black and lime green orchid ST. Several days after I got her her fins turned red :C I also purchased a red Cambodian CT female later.

Everything was going good so I decided to get my breeding tank ready put Cinder(my Male) in for a couple of days he did fine. Two days later I put Sin(ST) in a vase type container in the water he flared at her and started making a bubble nest. The next day I let in and watched they flared at each other and would half heartedly chase each other around. So I went to sleep when I woke up she had a rip in her tail and was hiding if he found her he would aggressively chase her. So I took her out. What did I do wrong? Also she still looks full of eggs and she is blowing bubbles in her tank.

I do not have a camera but I will hopefully be able to borrow one from a friend.
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:18 PM   #2 
doggyhog

Chasing and aggression is totally normal. First time I tried to spawn I was FREAKING out about how aggressive my male was being. But the females are a LOT faster then the males and if you have enough cover in your tank (Plants and hiding spots) then she should be fine... A few ripped fins is fine. But, if the aggression gets too rough, like going for the body and either of the fish having wounds, then they should be separated.

You can also re-condition them for a while, then try again. It took me three tries to get a spawn and I finally did!!! The first time my male was VERY aggressive, the second time my female was very aggressive, and this time, my male was a total gentlemen. :) Breeding bettas takes a lot of patience and When you have two bettas in the spawning tank, you should be checking on them VERY often. (I hardly ever leave the tank. Except to eat. LOL)

Good luck!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:30 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good advice, doggyhog. Breeding is pretty much trial and error.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #4 
Hopeful

Alright I guess that was my bad then I already started reconditioning them so Ill try again soon... Im not sure if Ill use Sin again but if it doesn't work Ill try Sunrise. Hopefully I can get pics soon! Although Sin looks a little beat up.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #5 
Hopeful

So DoggyHog I thought you might be interested in seeing a picture of Sin she looks a lot like you male I think you name him Mikko. Anyway if the light hits her just right you can see red on her fins but otherwise she is black and bright lime green. <3
Old 02-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #6 
Chicklet

Are you sure "Sin" is a female and not a male?
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:04 AM   #7 
Hopeful

I am relatively sure she is but I could be wrong, when I said that she looked like Mikko I meant in color not in finnage. I Tried again twice since the time I spoke of before and it has not worked Cinder is very violent and torn Sins fins to bits, She died the next day. Sunrise I tried before he killed Sin and he also did a good job on her too...
I will not try to breed him again. I am unsure if I will try and breed sunrise again. I also decided that I will get a pair or trio from a breeder...Though I don't think I want to go through aqua bid. Any suggestions on that? And on top of that Im going to try something a little different for my tanks.