Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2010, 04:39 AM   #1 
FuulieQ

Question To Pellet, or Not to Pellet?

:P

Okay, so here's the deal- I currently feed my betta Wardley's Betta Pellets and the occasional bloodworm treat if I have extra thawed from feeding the frogs.

I've heard pellets can be bad for them, but I also hear bloodworms exclusively isn't nutritionally balanced.

If I soak the pellets, they swell up and get really large. I know from watching that he doesn't take them if they're too big.

What do I do? :I

I experimented and gave him one of my frog's "Frog and Tadpole bites" soft pellets the other day. They're designed to prevent impaction. He ate it just fine. Think I could give him those?
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:10 AM   #2 
Tinthalas Tigris

Bettas are interesting ladies and gents. I have seen them try everything I put in the tank, including my fingers. Whatever they eat, they'll continue to eat, and those pellets won't be bad for them.

They might be nutritionally balanced for amphibians, but that doesn't mean they can't have them for a snack once in a while.

I give my bettas the pellets maybe once a week. I give them flakes about any other day, and then when I feel like it, I'll treat them with blood worms, or a live insect of some kind.

I drop an algae wafer every once in a while for my molly so it can get some spirulina form it. Naturally, the bettas have now begun to eat algae wafers. Go figure.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I use Wardley's pellets also and they can come clumped. My advice would be to just cut them in half so they're smaller. Pellets aren't bad for them and you can add a little variety like you're doing with the bloodworms.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #4 
xxabc

They're only bad for them because they're on the dry side, and we feed it so often.
You really should soak them up, that's to prevent constipation and the like. Since it's so dry, in the water it swells up...or rather, in their STOMACH it swells up. My bettas also hate pellets that are way too soaked - so just leave them in there for a couple minutes, or until your betta can eat it. I can only leave mine in for 1 minute - but it's better than being absolutely dry.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #5 
doubleatheman

I have the Wardley pellets also. They do come clumped.

I only got Wardley because we have used many of there products in the past and they just work every time! (Yeah I got some brand loyalty going on.)

Mine bettas stomach must have swollen up last night, because he was not hungry this morning. He still bit at it but immediately spit it back out about 10 times.
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #6 
shards

i feed my girls flack food and they love it and they have really bright colors i use tetra min tropical flacks with the new feed lid ( had to put the feeding lid in it was funny)
shards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #7 
Jupiter

Wardley's is pretty big! I have to break it up for most of my bettas. I feed them that and Top Fin pellets for variety-those are smaller. :)

Pellets are nutritionally balanced and should be a staple diet for your betta-I'm not sure if amphibian food wood be okay. Maybe you should compare the labels.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #8 
Romad
TFK Moderator

I use the Hikari betta Bio-gold pellets as a staple. They're smaller and my bettas love them. They also get treats at least once a week - either frozen bloodworms or froz. brine shrimp and froz. daphnia.

I can't wait to try the homemade fish food posted here a few days back.
Romad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #9 
doggyhog

I've always used Aqueon betta pellets. I dunno why, I just like them best. They are small, so my girls can eat them, and don't cause bloat.

Mine get BWs twice a week.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote