Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2010, 01:31 AM   #1 
FuulieQ

Exclamation I FAIL AS A FISH MUM ;n;

Today I decided that the time was up for a 100% cleaning and water replacement in Freedy's tank. I do 50-25% changes every week (it's a 3.5g tank) but I can't get ALL of his poop out that way and it was starting to be where I would replace 50% of the water and it would STILL look nasty. Water parameters were safe, but... really... I felt bad seeing all that POOP there.

Well, I took him out, drained the water, refilled it, and put him back in... and then I realized that I FORGOT TO CONDITION THE WATER. GAAAH

So I freaked out and put like 25 drops of Prime in. :I

The water was also of a bit different temperature... it was a little warmer than the water in the holding cup.

I feel so bad.

He seems okay, for a while he just laid at the bottom but now he's up and about again, swimming around, checking out the new tank layout. How long should I watch his behavior before I know that he's okay?

Oh, and I also bought him a heater (finally. I had to use his first one for the frog tank). I ended up getting one that is preset to heat the water to 78 degrees fahrenheit. There's no filter, so there's no current in the tank. Box says it's for up to 3 gallons. Is that okay, or will it be too hot?
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:46 AM   #2 
BakaMandy

:) The heater should be fine! Do you have a thermometer in there to make sure you can check the temperature manually? Sometimes even though heaters have settings where they say you can "change it to this temperature" kind of thing, it's best to keep an eye on it yourself.

Hmmm if possible, maybe do a few smaller water change over the course of the next couple of days? 25 drops of prime might be just a little bit too much :I but changing the water condition constantly over a small period of time might stress him out, so just slowly change the water, unless you think it's necessary to do a small water change immediately.

But if he seems okay now, I think he should be he's good :3

And you're not a bad fish mom )': Everyone makes little mistakes here and there, but you didn't do it intentionally.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #3 
veganchick

1 25-50% percent water change a week in a non filtered 3.5g tank. He needs 100% every week
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #4 
FuulieQ

I don't THINK it was that much... xD
But I'll do a small change just in case. He seems totally fine right now and I don't want to disturb him. He even made a bubblenest. :)
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote