Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #1 
bloo97

Question Please Answer this question soon!!!

I may consider getting a guppy,swordtail,molly or something for my betta. (he's kind of lonley, and im too inexperienced for mating bettas) But how do you keep another fish from eating betta food, and the betta from eating his?

hmmmmm......
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Ugh..

#1 Your betta is NOT lonely... if he is acting weird check his temp and the water prams. Look at what you feed him is it varied enough.. is it good healthy food?

#2 Guppies, swordtails, and mollies are NOT good tank mates for bettas. If you want a tank mate look at snails or shrimp. If your tank is big enough you might be able to get some bottom feeders like coreys or ADFs

#3 all of the fish you mentioned are schooling fish.. you'd need at least 6 of each.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #3 
bloo97

Thnks!

BTW, Cool Fish!

Last edited by dramaqueen; 03-06-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #4 
xxabc

Just a tip incase you every try breeding:
Never try breeding unless you've kept bettas for over a year.

And if you really do think your betta is lonely, then you yourself, the human, should spend more time with him. Just by spending time by the tank, messing with your fingers, etc, should make him less lonely. They're very solitary, but get attached to humans quite nicely, which is why I just love them.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #5 
bloo97

Thanks! Im Getting a new tank tonight (Maybe) so i'll try that tonight

Thanks! Lucky Will be Pleased!
Old 03-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #6 
xxabc

How big is it? And if you're doing fish-in cycling (which is gonna be the cases), make sure you do daily, or every other day water changes - dependant on the tank size.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #7 
bloo97

Well, now i have a round bowl but the one i may get is rectangle shaped and about 2.5 gallons. Not very big mostly because my fish is on my nightstand ( out of harms Way, of course ) I want to get him a Betta Leaf Hammock too. Im going to add a pirate ship,(he can hide in it), a Glow in the dark plant, And possibly spme ruins. They're not very big, so it's O.K.

Oh Yes, Any tips on lighting?

Last edited by dramaqueen; 03-06-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #8 
xxabc

Plants - Stay. Away. From. Plastic. They will eventually (even if it takes months) snag on your bettas tails. Always go for silk and/or real. For silk plants - make sure you completely bury the bottom of it. It's hard and can hurt fish. My betta lost a scale and part of his tail swimming against it. It's his favorite plant, I covered the bottom part, and he's fine.

Bettas LOVE abundant plantings. Wide spaces do tend to freak them out, even if not heavily.

Light - Not too much on it. Make sure it does turn on / off, probably 8-10 hours on, and the rest off (this is why I always stay away from heat lights...they turn off, but the temp goes down. Keep them on, and it affects the fish).

Try to get fluorescent bulbs - they just make your fish's color look much more beautiful. I went from incandescent --> fluorescent. Nothing regretted. Also, incandescent heats up water, so when it turns off, fluctuations.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:29 AM   #9 
bloo97

Thnks!!!