Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #1 
serenityroyal

Unhappy My Betta isn't eating! help!

I'm a first time betta fish owner, and I got my fish on friday. I'm getting worried because he hasn't eaten since friday night. I don't know if it's because he doesn't like the food, if it's from stress or something else. Help T_T
serenityroyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

He could be just getting used to his surroundings. What size tank is he in, do you have plants and hiding places for him? Do you have a heater?
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #3 
serenityroyal

He's in about 2 gallon tank and I got him a plant to hide in. I don't have a heater for the tank, I wasn't sure if a heater was needed
Old 03-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Like BettaFishCrazy said, he may just be getting used to his new home.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #5 
reaperss06

I will agree to that, I had that happen where he didn't eat for about a week, because he was in a new home.
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Some take longer than others to get used to their new environment, you do need to get a heater too, Bettas are tropical fish and do best in stable water temps of 78-80F IMO/E.
Remove any uneaten food so not to foul the water and try not to overfeed once he starts eating, this species is easy to overfeed as they tend to come toward you wagging their tail begging for food, they tend to get constipated when over fed or fed frequent and large amount of freeze dried bloodworms, a good staple varied diet in small amount is recommended for all fish IMO/E.
Also, poor water quality can play a role in appetite.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #7 
serenityroyal

Thanks everyone. Apparently he's picky about his food. I bought some freeze dried blood worms and he just loved them. The pellets, he will not eat. Any suggestions on a good varied diet?
Old 03-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #8 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Freeze-dried bloodworms should be only given as a treat. The pellets should be given as a stable food. You can also give freeze-dried brine shrimp.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #9 
serenityroyal

But what if he doesn't eat the pellets? T_T
Old 03-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Bettaxfishxcrazy is right! the freeze dried blood worms are best fed as a treat...feeding as a staple can cause some problems...hold food and offer one pellet at a time until he takes them.... otherwise you are asking for trouble in the long run...long term health...
The freeze dried blood worms are like candy to Betta and if given a choice they will pick and only eat the FDBW or candy and we all know what eating nothing but candy will do for our health.......it is not pretty even though is taste so good and we want it....lol.....
Betta can go 3-4 weeks without food, it is not ideal, but to break them of a bad habit...well...you know......as tempting as it can be..keep them on a good staple diet.....especially if you want your wet pet to live a long and healthy life...we gotta be the bad guy and just say no.....eat what is good for you....lol......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote