Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2010, 08:51 AM   #1 
neekis

New Betta owner - cleaning tank

I've been reading so much on this forum - thanks to everyone for all the great info! I'm a new Betta owner. Unfortunately, I got a 1.5 gal tank thanks to my 3 yr old (Freddy) wanting the Finding Nemo fish tank. We have a male betta named Neekis (Freddy picked that out). We got him on Sat. and I have to clean the tank today.

Should I remove Neekis from the tank when I do it or should I put him back in the container that I got him in? I'm assuming that I should remove him but want to make it the least stressful on him.

Note - I have one live plant, a Nemo statue and a mini heater in the tank. It is also lit.

Thanks in advance!
neekis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #2 
Neelie

just use a bowl (not too shallow) from the kitchen, make sure you have a book to cover it when he's in there.

fill it with water from his tank.

catch him with a net and gently drop him in there and cover the bowl. put him aside to a quite place. sunlight is handy to keep him warm but dont use a transperent bowl then caus it will stress him.

clean his tank

fill it with fresh water and LET IT HEAT back to the temperature it had when you removed the fish (i use a kettle for heating up a lil water to accelerate that)

when the tank is settled you can GENTLY let the bowl with the fish into the water and let it flow into the tank. VERY slowly.

done. g'luck
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:26 AM   #3 
neekis

Thanks! Unfortunately, I forgot to buy a net. Maybe I'll run out to get one before I do it. I had to take him out of the tank yesterday to install the heater because Sat night his water went down to 62. That's also when I put a live plant in it. I layed the bowl that I got him in into the water and let him swim in. Then scooped him up. He didn't seem to mind too much....but I think I will take your suggestion.

Thanks again!
Old 03-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

The way I like to clean my smaller betta only tanks so that it is the least stressful for them.
I use a dedicated cup that is labeled "fish only" and I dip half the water out, being careful not to scoop the betta and then replace the water with like temp, dechlorinated fresh water.
On all my 1-3g tanks I make water changes twice weekly of 50%, and with one of the weekly cleaning I will either use my homemade siphon to vacuum or I will give it a stir before I dip half the water out to get the fish waste, it will clear in about an hour after I refill.
I don't use filters on my smaller tanks, just live plants as part of the filtration system.
This method has worked for me for many years and has kept my bettas in tip top shape.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

You can put him in the cup you bought him in.. I do that for all my big water changes. But like neelie said don't put him near the window if you put him in his cup because its clear.

Make sure you rinse all his gravel and decor with warm/hot water to get all the ammonia/poo out, put everything back together, let it heat up and put him back in.

Don't forget your water conditioner.. also what plant did you get to go in the tank? Can you give us a picture? Some plants are sold as aquatic but actually aren't.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. 62 degrees is way too cold. I use a Tetra whisper heater in my 1.5 gallon critter keepers and they work fine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #7 
neekis

Thanks everyone! I bought a 4" aquatic fern that came in the plastic container with the gel. I rinsed it very well b4 I put it in. The water temp is now staying at 72 and I think Neekis is very happy. I don't use a filter, although the Nemo tank came with one (whisper 3i). Do you think I should? I was concerned about water flow.

I'll post pics soon...my 3 yr old is calling! :)
Old 03-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #8 
1fish2fish

In a 1.5 gallon tank you really don't need a heater IMO.. a tank that little won't cycle so your better off just doing full water changes. But I would keep the filter for later on.. they are great in bigger tanks (like 2.5 -3 gallon tanks) you never know you might want to upgrade him eventually.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #9 
neekis

Here's a pic...hope it works!

Here's a pic....
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

Looks good. You have a Java fern.. that is a great plant.. easy to keep and slow growing. Your betta is very pretty as well.. I like the dark red color he has.