Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #11 
doubleatheman

As a few members here know, I have a brand new 1 gallon tank (too late to be returned.) I want to put it to use, I have considered snails and shrimp.

The tank is not cycled, but it would be a 1 gallon with a under gravel filter and a air pump for just the shrimp alone, its also unheated (wouldn't go under 65*), has a light and 2 little plants.

Think it would be too cruel to keep a shrimp or a snail in a tank like that? (sorry to steal this thread, but its related.)
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #12 
Maryrox247

DO NOT i repeat DO NOT get the "betta in a vase"!!! it IS animal cruelty!!!!! By the way you most certainly can get a betta!! :) All you need is a bowl at least 1.5 gallons ( my romeo lives in a 1 gallon and is perfectly fine so 1 gallon is okay but get bigger if possible) you also need a substrate this can be sand gravel glass marbles or gems. You also will need a thermometer that can be placed inside the tank and try to keep it between 75-85 degrees. ( a heater is recomended unless your house is that temp 24/7 and that is why at least 1.5 gallon is good because heaters are dangerous for under that amount) You can purchase some of this stuff at a craft store your local dollar store or you can find a good deal at you pet store. Have fun with your betta!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #13 
doubleatheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryrox247 View Post
DO NOT i repeat DO NOT get the "betta in a vase"!!! it IS animal cruelty!!!!! By the way you most certainly can get a betta!! :) All you need is a bowl at least 1.5 gallons ( my romeo lives in a 1 gallon and is perfectly fine so 1 gallon is okay but get bigger if possible) you also need a substrate this can be sand gravel glass marbles or gems. You also will need a thermometer that can be placed inside the tank and try to keep it between 75-85 degrees. ( a heater is recomended unless your house is that temp 24/7 and that is why at least 1.5 gallon is good because heaters are dangerous for under that amount) You can purchase some of this stuff at a craft store your local dollar store or you can find a good deal at you pet store. Have fun with your betta!
Yep our dollar store has gravel and plastic ~1.5 bowels
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #14 
thegnome54

I appreciate the responses, but I don't think anyone's really answering my question.

I don't want a betta. I want a fish in my small tank. Would feeder guppies or some kind of micro fish be suitable?
thegnome54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #15 
vaygirl

A half gallon is not suitable for any fish or shrimp. A vase is not a small fish tank. The reason a betta can live in conditions like that is because they breathe air. Any other fish you would get would need oxygen and with such a small surface area as a vase has, you're not going to have enough oxygen for anything. Especially not shrimp. They need good, stable water conditions and you won't find that in a vase. Put flowers in your vase and if you like the idea of a fish, get a suitable home for whatever type you like.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #16 
1fish2fish

NO FISH!!!! If you want to have fish then get a proper tank.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:44 AM   #17 
sandystar

Don't they make those ' fake' fish?
I want to say I saw them here, they looked like goldfish... It was in a form for wedding idea betta as table center/ party gift?

Well anyways... thegnome54 if your looking for advice on how to properly take care of a Betta or any other animal, this site and everyone on here is most informative. We are an online community passionate about our fish ( other animals too!) and we try to bust the myths of their care. A vase is a vase, stick some flowers in it, it'll look just as nice. Try using some silk ones for a year round bloom.
sandystar is offline   Reply With Quote