Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #1 
thegnome54

Considering getting a betta fish for an unusual container - need advice

Hello, I made an account just to get advice here. I want to make sure that my idea is feasible and would be healthy for a betta fish.

I recently bought a glass vase, and I'm hoping to keep some sort of fish in it. So my first question is, are betta fish the best fish for keeping in a relatively small (about half a gallon) tank, or are there more suitable fish I should consider?

Also, I'm thinking of using glass frit as a substrate. It's basically bits of glass used for melting into stained glass and such, they're tumbled or something so they're not very rough, and I can get various sizes. Does aquarium gravel do anything glass wouldn't, is there a danger of ingestion, and if so what size should the grains be?

I've also heard of places selling combinations of betta fish and some kind of plant which reduces the need for a filter/water change. Is this true, and if so what kind of plant would help with this?

Sorry I have so many questions, I just want to make sure of everything before I make any moves and change a fish's life, haha.
thegnome54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. I wouldn't put a betta in anything less than 2 gallons. I wouldn't use anything that is sharp for a substrate. A lot of people use glass gems or marbles as a substrate and they are very pretty and come in all kinds of colors.
You're thinking of the "betta in a vase" where you supposedly don't have to feed the fish because they will eat the plant roots and the water never needs to be changed. That is a myth! The smaller the container, the more frequently the water needs to be changed. Bettas need to be fed once or twice a day. They are carnivorous and do not eat plant roots. A filter isn't absolutely necessary. They just help to keep the water cleaner. Also, bettas are tropical fish and need to be kept in a 76 to 82 degree temperature range. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions you want. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #3 
thegnome54

Thanks for the quick reply!

I guess I can't/shouldn't get a betta then. Do you know of any fish species that could be housed in a half-gallon? Maybe feeder guppies or something?
Old 03-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

IMO those vases with plants are a death trap and should not be used to house/keep betta. Not enough space and the plant can inhibit their ability to get to the top to breath, bettas don't live off algae they need high protein and meat in their diet, you can't heat them or provide the proper care for the fish and plant...so please don't get one of those.
Half gallon is really not big enough for long term housing, and really hard to heat safely and warm water is important for tropical fish long term health and well being.
Also, Welcome and you came to the right place to get help and it is so nice to see that you are asking question and doing some research before you get your fish. All living creature deserve respect and quality care.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #5 
thegnome54

Right, I'm not going to get a betta. Do you know of any other fish/animals I could keep in a half-gallon?

Feeder guppies? Some kind of small frog? Or do you guys just specialize in bettas?
Old 03-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Half gallon is not much water for fish, it can be done but you would need to make daily water changes to keep water quality at its best, you could do live plants and toss a ghost shrimp or a couple of the smaller red shrimp or a snail maybe, the plants will help keep the water safe once they are actively growing...you are limited.....too small, poor O2, hard to heat...less water things can go bad fast.....
Old 03-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #7 
xxabc

For the snail/shrimp idea, it's possibly but I'd imagine it to be very, very difficult. I've never had them personally, but I think you need a cycled / filtered tank for them so they don't die off. And that they're reaaaaally sensitive to ammonia/nitrates etc... so basically you'd be doing a water change everytime they poop, lol ;)

But that's just how I see it. :P
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

Why do you want to put a fish in something like that? These are animals and should be cared for correctly. There is NO animal that you can just throw in a small vase with a plant an expect it to be happy and healthy.

Here is what you can put in your vase...
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
For the snail/shrimp idea, it's possibly but I'd imagine it to be very, very difficult. I've never had them personally, but I think you need a cycled / filtered tank for them so they don't die off. And that they're reaaaaally sensitive to ammonia/nitrates etc... so basically you'd be doing a water change everytime they poop, lol ;)

But that's just how I see it. :P
I agree xxabc that is why I recommended plants, when aquatic plants are actively growing they will use ammonia for food and this will keep nitrates low that the shrimp do best in, but IMO the half gallon for long term housing has limited choices regardless of plants, livestock...etc......maybe just plants and a snail...but I do agree, very risky without lots and lots of water changes, half gallon is just not much to work with for long term and quality health...and without a stable oxygen source it will not cycle anyway and this limits a lot of livestock choices with that alone.....and I hate seeing a Betta long term in half gallon......even though it is done...doesn't make it right....a thrive-vs-survive thing IMHO.....
Glad that the OP know this.......but they are wanting to do something with this cool half gallon container they got.......
Old 03-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #10 
xxabc

Missed the "plants" part in your post, sorry, but still not much changes. I'd be interested what to do with such a gallon too, as long as it's in no way cruel.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote