Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #1 
smallvle

ugh! fin rot, help please?

My boy, Seuss, looked like he had caught his tail on a plant (plastic,) in his tank maybe a month/ 3 weeks ago. (I've since taken the plant out.) It was connected to his cave decoration and he'd had no problems with it in the year i've had him. Anyway, he had a very small hole in his tail, but I didn't think it was a big deal. He has also been looking kind of off for a couple of weeks now, and I thought his tail looked darker at the tips, but couldn't tell. (He always gets sick looking then heals overnight, or as soon as I buy medicine, but before I can give him any, so I tend to disregard his strange behavior.) I noticed a week ago during his water change, that there seemed to be a couple little pices of fin in his gravel, and that the small hole had gotten bigger, (though not by much.) Then, two days ago I woke up to see his tail had split in two from the hole down, and his fins all seem quite translucent.

I'm thinking this is fin rot, and finally got a chance to get aquarium salt this morning, and gave him two salt baths and added some salt to his tank. Tomorrow I will do a 100% water change and look for some fin rot meds., but was wondering if anyone on here has dealt with fin rot and has any tips or what to do/ not to do. Thanks so much guys, this is always the first place I look for advice!

Seuss- 2.5 gal tank with heater (always between 76-80 degrees,) filter, and partial water changes every week. (one week, partial water change, next week partial water change, use gravel vaccume and scrub tank, next week partial water change and so on.) use tap water and Aqueon water conditioner.
smallvle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I would keep putting some salt in the tank after each water change and raising the temp to at least 80. It sounds like you're doing everything right and have everything you need. Fin rot can be nasty so it probably is fin rot. It doesn't sound like he's biting his tail.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #3 
smallvle

i've never noticed any signs of tail-biting and have owned him for over a year, but i honestly didn't think the very small rip he had in his tail was a big deal! ugh! sorry, i've had a really bad week, and this just added to it.

i bought Jungle Fungus Clear and am following the directions on the box in addition to adding aquarium salt to his water. he does not look happy with me by the way, esp. since the meds turned his water blue!

also, i don't have an adjustable heater, just one of those mini Hydor ones, but it stays at 80 during the day and maybe 78 at night. it really only gets to 76 on really cold nights when my dad is too cheap to turn the heat up a few degrees. lol
Old 03-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I would take the medication out of the tank. You should only use medication when aquarium salt doesn't work. Some fish can have bad reactions to medication.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #5 
smallvle

thanks. i'm a little frustrated and slightly confused because some people combine salt and meds, some don't use salt and some won't even touch meds for their fish, so i'm not sure what's best. Seuss has been hiding alot, but the meds turned his water green, so i'd hide too honestly.

i did a 100% water change yesterday, then added meds and salt (1st time for the meds.) then today, becasue i can't use the meds and his carbon filter, i did another 100% water change and added a fresh dose of meds and salt. i really wanted the meds for a few days just to help knock out the fungus/ bacterial or whatever, but i think tomorrow i will do another 100% water change and stop the meds. and just have salt.

all my friends keep telling me to flush him and buy another fish becasue it's "not worth the work," but one of those friends has also had like, 5 betas (within the last year,) that have died because she had them in a cold vase with a plant and fed them i think, 6 or 7 pellets a day and only did weekly water changes. (i've tried telling her different, but to her it's just a cheap decoration and she can always buy another one.) if one more person tells me to flush Seuss, i'm going to slap them! it'd honestly be like me telling them to put a bullet in their dog's head because the dog caught a cold. Seuss would die a slow, horrible death of suffocation trapped in a pipe somewhere or worse yet in our septic tank! sorry, this just really got to me. but i knew at least here everyone would try to help me make him better not tell me to flush him because he's a "stupid fish." grrr!!
Old 03-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #6 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yeah, sadly a lot of people don't think of fish as pets. It's up to you if you want to use meds and aquarium salt or just aquarium salt. I've always used meds as a last resort and I think a lot of people on here do that also. I've learned to ignore my parents when they tell me to flush them. I told my mom one time, that's like killing one of our dogs and she was like "Don't be silly, it's just a fish, our dog is way more important." They just don't get that even if you can't play with it and pet it, they have amazing personalities. My mom has changed her mind about them after watching them for a little bit and realized they were stupid.lol
Old 03-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #7 
smallvle

i just get so annoyed when people are like, "it's just a $2 fish, just buy a new one, they only live a few months." well, they only live a few months when they're not taken care of. plus Seuss had been thru alot with me; i got him from a friend i don't talk to anymore, he went to horseshoeing school with me; he's held on thru alot, so i couldn't let him go. i think he's getting old and kind of on his last leg anyway, but i can't stand the thought that he'd suffer a slow horrible death when i can prevent the suffering.

on a good note, though, he's looking much more lively today, and though i didn't get time to change his water tonight, i think tommorow evening (i work all day,) i'll change his water, take out all the meds, and just give him aquarium salt and see what happens. : )
Old 03-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sure it's a $2 fish but you'd kind of like to keep the one that you have. We love our fish and care for them just like we would any other pet. I have a cousin that thought they only lived a couple of months and that's why she let her daughter have one. I ended up taking it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #9 
smallvle

i love my boy. : ) he's my baby, even if he is "only a fish." Betta's have so much personality! i love them! by the way, he is waaaay more active than he's been in a long time. i took the meds out and am just using aquarium salt now, and keeping an eye out for fin-regrowth. thank you sooo much for all your help guys!
Old 03-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #10 
BettaxFishxCrazy

That's great! I'm glad he's doing better. When new fins grow in it'll look whitish and transparent.