Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #1 
MmmToast

A new fish owner here..

Hi, I'm new here, and new to caring for fish.

We've had goldfish all my life, but those live through practically anything. I'm a full time college student and feel lonely without having a pet around. Don't worry, I have enough time to do regular tank cleaning and such. I decided to get myself a fish, since that's all we are allowed to have in the dorms.

I decided on a male Betta. I did a little research and got a heater for him. Unfortunately for now I only have him in a two gallon tank, but this summer I'm hoping to upgrade to a five. Yesterday he seemed to be doing a lot of exploring, popping in and out of his little rock cave.

Today he is still swimming around some but will randomly just chill out at the bottom, not doing much of anything. I'm starting to get worried, because he won't eat. Maybe he is just picky and doesn't like the Betta bites. I'm not rich being in college, so I figured I would give those a try first. Should I try something else or do you think he is still adjusting, or could he be sick already? I did just get him yesterday, after all.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. =)
MmmToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and wellcome to the forum. He may still be adjusting to his new home and that's why he's not eating. Also, bettas can be picky and you may have to try another brand of pellets. If you see him laying on the bottom of his bowl for long periods of tiime then it may be a sign of illness but if he is just occaisionally lays on the botom then that's ok. They do like to rest every now and then. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

I would wait at least a week before trying another food. What brand of pellets are you using? They are great as a foundation food but you also need some other foods to vary his diet throughout the week. I would suggest also picking up some frozen blood worms or brine shrimp to give as a treat two or three times a week.

You can also vary the diet further by buying several different types of pellets and feeding them on different days. Good brands of pellets are Topfin, Wardley's, Aqueon, Hikari, and Omega One.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #4 
MmmToast

He only stays there for a couple minutes then will go to to the top for some air, then go back if he doesn't have my finger to play with. Maybe he's just bored? The food is just called Betta Bites. I wasn't really sure about food, so I just picked up what looked best in the store.

Also, I do have a question about tank cleaning. Since I only have a two gallon, should I do full tank changes every week on top of partial tank changes? And I'm actually not sure how that works either. Do I just take the water out and replace it? Do I take the fish out? I've never heard of a partial tank change before I read about it.
MmmToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #5 
doubleatheman

My Betta is only eating blood-worms now.. big surprise...

I tried 2 kinds of pellets on him in the last 2 days.

He ate 2 pellets the first night, and one pellet and one bloodworm the next.

He only seems interested in eating once a day. Although this morning he ate one tiny bloodworm. I'm afraid I'm spoiling him with bloodworms.

All the containers say feed the Betta 2-4 pellets 2-3 times a day... my Betta is getting about 1 pellet and 1 bloodworm a day. The rest he wont touch or he spits out...

Any who I'm just glad to hear its more normal for them to not be eating at all or normally on the first few days.
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

I would do at least 2 full water changes a week on a two gallon. In addition I would do a 50% change in the middle... all you do is take out 50% of the water and put back in new treated water.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #7 
FlippyLuckyBubblesAqua1

Wink Same Thing.

My Betta Does The Same Thing. I Just Got Him Yesterday, But I Have Had Many. They Have All Done This, Although If He Does This For A Long Period Of Time Or His Color Begins To Change, He May Be Sick. In That Case I Would Record What He Does For 24 Hours And Post That. I'm Sure You Will Find Out An Answer. Also, Like You Said He May Just Be Bored. I Got My Old Betta, Bubbles, A Floating Log. It Was Only $10 ! So Don't Give Up (: I'm Sure Your Betta Is Living A Happy Life
~FlippyLuckyBubblesAqua1(:
FlippyLuckyBubblesAqua1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #8 
bloo97

I got a new tank sat., and my betta is still adjusting so hes not eating but he'll eat soon (I hope)
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #9 
sdiamonds

I too, just got a betta last Saturday. However, I couldn't decide on one so I got two Crowntail males! Right now I have them in a small tank that has a divider. I would like to get a larger tank but need some advice. Such as, do they make one that has a divider? And I also took the poll..........I'm the only one in my age group at the moment.
sdiamonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #10 
xxabc

sdiamonds, Go ahead and make your own thread, it makes things much more easier
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote