betta fish

Old 04-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #11 
Netti

oops, forgot to hang it on
Attached Images

Netti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #12 
Netti

Here he is hours later, he is active, and swimming the whole tank, checking out everything:
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2014, 07:35 PM   #13 
Netti

There was a bit of a glitch with a bacteria bloom due to my son getting the dechlorinator Nutrafin Aqua Plus, mixed up with the Nutrafin Cycle bottle. The Betta started to look droopy, so my son eventually figured out his mistake. Large water change and properly dechlorinating it resulted in a much happier Betta. and the bottle of Cycle was thrown away!

My son just left here with a whole bunch of supplies, including a bottle of Prime dechlorinator, and a new little baggie of cycled media. In that baggie there also is a little crushed coral to bring the pH up gently, hopefully around 6.5.

I also gave him a piece of moss covered mopani wood from my Betta tank, it will help give it that lovely tea colour that makes everything look more golden in the tank, and a large-ish plant of Anubia.

This Betta is doing wonderful, and we all hope it will stay this way. This afternoon the filter was turned on for the first time (still without media), the Betta thought it was great fun and seemed to enjoy the current it created.

I can't wait for more pictures once they add the media and the mopani wood. This is from this afternoon after the big water change with dechlorinated water:
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #14 
Netti

New problem: the heater broke. My son had to go out and buy a new heater yesterday afternoon, before coming over to pick up the new supplies here. I have no idea why they seem to have such difficulties with this tank, it's like whatever can go wrong is going wrong! At least there aren't any leaks (knock on wood)!

So here is the tank with the moss covered mopani wood, and the larger anubia.
The second picture shows both the nerite snail and the betta checking out the new "furniture". His eyes are still a little cloudy, one of the other Bettas had it too. I'm hoping that the better conditioner may help. Oh, and there is 0 ammonia, pH at 6.8.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #15 
Netti

He`s doing well, swimming and exploring, I`m told. As soon as my son sends me some pictures I will post some here. They were holding off naming him, but are now saying that it is time to decide on a name for him. I tentatively suggested `Superman`!
Old 04-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #16 
Netti

Finally we can breathe easier, he looks pretty good, his eyes have cleared up, he had blood worms for dinner today.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #17 
Netti

I'm now thinking that the other dechlorinator (Nutrafin Aqua Plus) may have been a bad batch, either that, or my son had gotten the two different bottles (Cycle) mixed up at other water changes as well and the other Bettas eventually died from the chlorine?

Would it be OK to start adding the other plants back?
Old 05-01-2014, 02:08 AM   #18 
JessiesGill

I'm glad the new boy is doing well. I have a question about that heater. Does it have a minimum water line marking somewhere, and is the water at or above it? I have a different brand, and mine must be submerged above the point where the tube meets the top section, about halfway up the top section. I know different brands function differently, so no offense meant here.

He's a really pretty boy. I wonder if the red on his body is going to spread as he ages.
JessiesGill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:58 AM   #19 
Netti

No no, no offense taken, thank you for your reply and pointing out the heater issue. I've sent my son and his GF a message about it.

I really like his colouring too, there also seems to be a hint of blue on his body, so it will be interesting to see how he changes.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #20 
daniella3d

Is it an impression or he's a bit bloated? hard to see that that's my impression from these photos.
daniella3d is offline   Reply With Quote