Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #21 
Pocketmew

Yeah I thought he looked bloated as well. But I dunno if its just weird angle tricks. When you look at him is his belly more like

Or

(or close to that)?
Pocketmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #22 
Netti

I live 45 min. away from their home, but I looked back at those pics and must agree with you.....his belly does look bloated!

Going to ask them to have a look at it. Here I was thinking they were finally going to have a positive experience.
Netti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #23 
Pocketmew

I feel so bad that issues keep arising ;n;. Where are they getting these fishies from? He didn't look all that healthy to begin with, with the clamped fins and cloudy eyes...If his belly is swollen it could be dropsy...
Old 05-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #24 
JessiesGill

You said his last meal was bloodworms. All he needs is a high quality pellet for good nutrition. New Life Spectrum and Omega One are the top 2 recommended here. They are complete, easily digested, and not known to cause bloating or constipation.
JessiesGill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #25 
Netti

I hear what you're saying, but no, the place is known to be very good! We got our Betta Malcolm from there as well, and we had no problems whatsoever.

The cloudy eyes appeared after being in the care of my son. I strongly suspect that there is something wonky with the conditioner they've used before. Things improved over night, after using Prime.

Hopefully he hasn't got any organ damage, and hopefully it is a case of constipation. Is it Daphnia that is supposed to help after the three days of fasting? There seem to be differences in opinion whether to use peas or not.

Seeing his belly also again makes me think of internal parasites, that's what we suspected with the first Betta....ugh, I feel like an emotional yoyo right now!
Old 05-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #26 
Netti

Yes, Jessiesgill, the Betta has been eating New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets. I think this was the first time he'd received bloodworms!
Old 05-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #27 
JessiesGill

That's good. Maybe he got over zealous with the worms and pigged out. Hopefully that's all it is, and it passes quickly. No more candy for this boy. ;)

Yes, daphnia is recommended for constipation. It's a natural food for them. Prune juice for bettas.
JessiesGill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #28 
Netti

He'd eaten only 2 bloodworms, there was a third that disappeared to the bottom of the tank, so my son had told me. Maybe the Betta found it later and ate that one as well.

I feel so bad, I've given them this tank thinking it would be fun for them. They are both still University students, while also holding jobs, paying a mortgage and this little Betta tank seems to pull money out of their pockets. I've been helping with getting supplies, but I think I will offer to set up a tank here in my home and try to get this Betta healthy for them. I only work in the mornings and have a lot more time than they do....so if we need to medicate I can do it here!
Old 05-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #29 
Pocketmew

I am a student too, so I know how it feels..I am spending way too much money on my babies. See if they can take a clearer picture of his tummy, it very well could be constipation/overeating. I'm looking at my male right now with a potbelly since my 4yr old decided to dump some food in his tank while I was away. If he is still active and there aren't any open wounds I wouldn't be too quick to pull out the medication. Sometimes they can do more harm than good...
Old 05-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #30 
Netti

Yes Pocketmew, you're right, we would only medicate if it is necessary. I too am a believer to try it first with good water conditions before reaching for chemicals.

I'm still torn between whether there is something wrong with the water, was it the water additives, or are the Bettas sick from the store. My son should do a full test on the tank tonight, he already promised me to take a picture of the Betta's belly when he gets home, I will then post it all here.

And, good luck with your pot-bellied Betta as well!