Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2014, 09:44 PM   #41 
Bloodfire

Hello, I am the son of Netti. Sadly, currently I am the betta killer :(

Well, we are frustrated with the situation (of course) and I am quite sad as the current fish (Well, pet store they would try to fix him with aquarium/epsom salts and call if he recovers) was quite personable. I was able to play with him, he would come to my voice, and etc.

I asked the pet store guy and he said that they had no problems with any of the other fish, so it had to be something we're doing. I took the store credit they offered (will give it back if they fix our poor fishy), but need a break from killing fish (it's hard work after all!).

The zebra danios we'll try in the tank will hopefully survive, dictating that it is some sort of... curse?

Thanks to everyone here (especially my mum) for helping me out as much as possible, despite the most probably outcome.

If you're wondering, my avatar is currently of when we first got this fish. Hopefully it'll give him some good luck while at the pet store.

Last edited by Bloodfire; 05-01-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Bloodfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #42 
givemethatfish

Aww, you're not a killer. Sometimes things happen that are beyond our control. It really sounds like you were doing everything right.
givemethatfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #43 
Pocketmew

I agree it DOES sound like you were doing everything right. Its just really unfortunate and seems like there is some lingering parasite/bacteria hanging tight to your tank @_@.

I recently lost my lovely female baby betta due to my 4 year old getting a hold of her and putting her in the big tank with the male =n= Her passing still really stings because she also came whenever I wiggled my finger in the tank and was really friendly and cute.

Hopefully they fix your fishie. I don't blame you for taking a break. Took me about 2 weeks before I could think about getting another baby.
Pocketmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:21 PM   #44 
Bloodfire

Yeah hopefully the danios we use will survive proving it's not the tank. If they die, maybe we'll use a bleach cleaner or something...
Bloodfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #45 
Netti

I will take the tank then Bloodfire, I'll get you a 10 gallon...or the 8.5 gallon I saw on special, and after I sanitized the 5 gallon I have an excuse for setting up a Betta tank for your brother!
Netti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #46 
givemethatfish

I would actually advise using neon tetras to test the tank if you can. They are much more sensitive to anything wonky than danios are, at least in my experience. You'll get much quicker results, and you'll also maybe be able to save the tetras because they'll show any signs of distress very quickly instead of it building up in the danios until they're beyond saving. I had some problems with one of my tanks a few months back, and everyone advised me that neons were the best "test" fish.

Luckily, I had resolved my problem and they lived and are still with me very happily :)
Old 05-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #47 
Netti

Thank you for your reply Givemethatfish, the idea with the neon tetras is not bad.

However there has been a new development. My son went to see his Betta at the pet shop and the Betta was still alive, not having gotten any worse. They were only treating him with aquarium salt, and believe that he must have some kind of infection. Bacterial? Viral? ???

So my son called me from the car, he and his GF already had the Betta with them in a bag to try and treat him with Epsom salts at home. There was a thread I've read a while ago regarding the concentration and luckily I remembered it to pass on that information to Bloodfire (my son). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but what I remembered was 1 tsp Epsom salt per gallon of dechlorinated water. The concentration can be raised up to 3 tsp Epsom salt per gallon.
Maximum treatment time 2 weeks, is that right?

Now we also need your help to decide what temperature would be best for him during this treatment. Warm water is usually best to help a betta get better, but should it be a bacterial infection keeping the water not so warm would slow down the progression of the infection and give the treatment more time to work.

Should they also add any antibiotics? If so, which one? I've never had to treat my fish with Antibiotics and would love to hear what you think is best.

They plan on keeping the Betta in a container, but are still undecided whether to float the container in the tank to ensure he is warm, or to put the container in the warmer computer room, where the water would only get to room temperature.

That's all I know for now, the plan is for me to post things since my son does not have that much time available to him working and attending University courses.
Thanks for reading,
Netti
Old 05-02-2014, 08:27 PM   #48 
Netti

This is the Betta still in the bag from the shop today:
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2014, 08:35 PM   #49 
givemethatfish

That is the correct info about epsom salts dosage. I will let someone with more knowledge chime in about antibiotics. Good luck!
Old 05-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #50 
Netti

Thanks givemethatfish! <3