Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #1 
MaverickBAS

Are Marineland Aquariums OK for Bettas?

Hello. I'm trying to find a good tank for a new Betta I plan to purchase

Does anyone know if the Marineland Aquariums are suitable for Bettas?
I was thinking about the Marineland Eclipse 5 Gallon.

I've been looking at several Marineland aquariums on Amazon and they seem quite attractive. The reviews say they are easy to maintain. I understand the filter is built into the top canopy of the aquarium with a biowheel and a small waterfall.

I hope the current would not be too powerful for my Betta with a Marineland aquarium.
MaverickBAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #2 
SaylorKennedy

Nope, they're perfect. Mine never had any problems with the current! They're nice tanks too. Any betta would be thrilled/ecstatic to have an Eclipse. :D

Good luck in getting your new betta.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

I agree. They are great tanks and the Marineland customer service is top notch. Its very easy to get replacement parts. The tanks last forever if you take care of them :)

One thing though.. eclipse tanks are made out of acrylic.. not glass (nothing wrong with that IMO).. so when your cleaning the acrylic you need to be really careful about only using soft cloths and sponges on it because it scratches very easily.

I've had my eclipse 3 for about 6 months and I love it.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #4 
Min

I have 2 3 gal & a 6 gal & luv them !
Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #5 
MaverickBAS

That is good to hear. The Amazon customer reviews of the Marineland systems range from one star to five, but most reviews are good ones. I'm glad to see that some of you use them for Betta fish. The Marineland systems are quite attractive in the pictures.

I'm not very mechanically inclined and I have in the past avoided getting a tank with a filter. But these systems sound like they may not need that much high maintenance or set up.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Nope not at all. Don't be afraid of filters.. you don't really have to do anything with them.. except for occasionally taking the cartridge out and rinsing it out during a water change.

You might want to research cycling (again not as hard/ difficult as it seems) because with a 5 gallon its much easier to cycle it and do partial water changes.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #7 
vaygirl

If you can put out the extra money, I recommend the 6 gallon over the hex or corner 5 gallons. I have a hex 5 and an eclipse 6. The 6 has much better filter flow and the surface area is a lot bigger. I've had a lot more problems with algae and diatoms in my hex 5 and I've had water quality problems even though I have the same maintenence schedule for both tanks.

Just my experience though. I like the hex 5's look but I probably won't buy another one. I'll spring for the 6 gallon.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #8 
MaverickBAS

Thanks for the advice. The Marineland Eclipse Acrylic Aquarium System 6 Gallon Size does look like a good buy. Amazon has it on sale too. I'll probably order it tonight.

My last aquarium was only two gallons. With six gallons I may even put in another fish to keep my future Betta fish company (although I realize his companion can't be another male Betta due to fighting problems).

I will also be careful not to scratch the new aquarium when it arrives due to it being acrylic.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #9 
doggyhog

I personally wouldn't add any other fish. Your betta doesn't need "friends". If you feel you need to add something, add a mystery snail or a few ghost shrimp.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

I agree with DH.. you would be better off with some ghost shrimp or a snail rather than another fish in a 6gallon.