Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #1 
lucyinthesky

Unhappy Ripped Fins :(

Mr Splashy got himself stuck under a rock and ripped off almost all of his bottom fin.

He seems to be fine now, but its dissapointing because he was so pretty before - well he still is, but theres just less fins :(

P.S this container was a temporary house. he is now in a 115 litre biorb tank with light/ filter etc.
Attached Images

lucyinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #2 
bettalover2033

wow he has pretty bad fins poor guy... Ok I add in methylene blue and some sort of antibiotic to the water. Just ask you local fish store and they will help you. This will prevent infection. Use some Stress Coat and BettaFix to encourage fin regrowth.

DO NOT LET THE FISH STORE OWNER TALK YOU INTO BUYING MELA FIX. Melafix can KILL your betta. Only use Bettafix.
There's a certain plant chemical in both BettaFix and MelaFix that can kill bettas. BettaFix has a lot more water making it 100% safe.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #3 
lucyinthesky

the product my petshop sold me is called 'multi cure' and has the following ingredients;

0.4g/l methylene blue
0.425g/l malachite green
2g/l acriflavine

it said to use 1ml per 4 litres, however I didnt want to put too much in at once, so i just use the 1ml, diluted with water and added it to the 15l tank over the duration of the day.
he seems completely fine, infact after it happened - the next day there was a lot of bubbles at the top of his tank.

His fins were very droopy to begin with, but it is a big change in the ammount of fins he had.

***EDIT***
he has developed slightly grey / white looking marks above his eyes and on his body behind his gills, which i am slightly worried about, but overall he is active and eating well... so i dont want to be overly concerned.

Last edited by lucyinthesky; 03-08-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:05 AM   #4 
Neelie

jesus the poor lil guy
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:57 AM   #5 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Ouch. Good luck.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #6 
lucyinthesky

i know, i was rather distraught when i came into work and saw his fin on the bottom of his tank. i had to scoop it out :(

does anyone know if it will grow back?
Old 03-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #7 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Oh no! Poor thing... The fins will grow back, but it'll probably take some time.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote