Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2014, 05:38 AM   #1 
TheBlur

10gallon tankmates?

So I've been considering getting a 10gallon for my female betta when she's big enough, but I don't want her to be alone! I'm having difficulty deciding if she should be in a sorority of just bettas or if I should get her some other fishes to cohabitate with.

Been considering corey cats (2 min) for sure.
I really like guppies and mollies (especially the balloon bellies), but I think they have to come in sets of 3-5 to be happy. I used to have/breed fancy tail guppies when I was younger. x3
I'd also be totally fine with just an all female betta tank. I hear they have to have groups of 5 or more. (more would require a larger tank.) But I've also read about some people here with just 2 or 3 females in a tank with other fish...

Any suggestions or opinions?
TheBlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #2 
Canis

Cory cats should actually stay in a group of 6 or more, and most species will do great in a ten gallon, as long as your substrate is fine enough that it won't hurt their little barbels. Guppies are iffy, some bettas will be okay with them, but some will not. My girls do fine with them, though my male guppy is missing a little nibble on his tail. If you go that route, make sure you have a ratio of 1 male per 2 females, otherwise all males or all girls. That way the females aren't too harassed. They also have a lot of babies, so you'll have to make sure that your tank doesn't get overloaded when fry start pouring out every couple of weeks.
I'd steer clear of mollies. Some people have had success with them, but from what I've heard most have not. They get pretty large, and they like to nip fins. If you do a betta sorority, you have to have at least four bettas, and a LOT of hiding spaces and plants. They are very stressful for the fish, so if you go that route you have to make sure the water conditions stay pristine to avoid illness and sever aggression.
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:34 PM   #3 
TheBlur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis View Post
x
oh wow 6?! Do you think there'd be enough room for them with 4 betta girls AND a couple of male guppies?! (I don't want to breed guppies this time, I've done that in the past x3 )
Old 04-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #4 
Canis

I don't think I'd stock that high, you'd stress out the tank a ton. Some ideas you could try, though I don't know if I'd risk the first two;
- Four girls and 6 pygmy corries (pushing it)
- Four girls and two or three guppies (pushing it)
- One girl and 6 corries, many types available to choose from though I'd go with pygmy to keep the bioload down
- One girl and 4 -6 guppies (I'd only risk four or five)

Also, just because your betta is a female doesn't mean that she will like or even accept other fish in the tank with her. They can be more vicious than males sometimes, and have been known to kill all kinds of other fish.
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #5 
TheBlur

@canis
thats true. Right now my little girl is quite happy and content, so regardless she'll have a safe and comfortable place to live.
Thanks so much for the advice. I had a feeling 6 cores would be a lot x.x
Old 04-27-2014, 09:10 PM   #6 
Kumo

This is what is in my 10 gallon with my boy betta (charmander) and he gets along with them just fine:
-4 corry fish
-2 glass catfish (1 died while I was having ammonia issues in my tank :( )
-1 algae eater
-1 snail

As far as corry go, I've always kept 3 minimum and they got along just fine and weren't stressed out by not enough of themselves being around each other. If you want a sorority of female bettas, I always hear minimum 6 with a minimum 20 gallon tank.

Last edited by Kumo; 04-27-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:44 PM   #7 
FrightyDog

In my 10 gallon I have 4 panda cories, 3 otocinclius, 1 boy betta, and a (DANGEROUS DO NOT TRY) Green Tiger barb. Epsilon, the betta, flares at him a lot to keep him away. 3 months later, so far so good. If i didn't have the barb first, i would have never tried it.
FrightyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #8 
n25philly

In a 10gal you should only do dwarf corys or maybe pandas (and that is at best really pushing things) Corys need space to move.
n25philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:54 PM   #9 
TheBlur

ok so tiny fish is better x3
if i want to make a sorority with a few extra fishes do you think i should upgrade it to a 20/25 gallon then? There's someone in my area selling one for super cheap.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #10 
FrightyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlur View Post
ok so tiny fish is better x3
if i want to make a sorority with a few extra fishes do you think i should upgrade it to a 20/25 gallon then? There's someone in my area selling one for super cheap.
heck.yes. that Would Help Keep The Peace in The tank AndAllow for a few more happy fish
FrightyDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corey catfish, guppies, mollies, tank mates