Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2014, 08:40 PM   #11 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrightyDog View Post
heck.yes. that Would Help Keep The Peace in The tank AndAllow for a few more happy fish
^ yup

I think a lot of people are unaware how big full grown cores are.
pandas and pygmies do fine in 10g ..pygmies are better suited though

if you decide on getting the 20/25g then your options do open up greatly.. However in no tank do I recommend a sorority. MANY ..I'd saw a significant majority of sororities end with illness due to stress.. it's not a stocking *they* would like.

I'd do 1 betta and then other fish in a 20/25g a school of corys and a school of some type of tetra .. thats an easy good bet at success.
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:59 AM   #12 
Sathori

As people have mentioned above - pygmy corydoras.
Oh my goodness they are adorable and I wish I would have gone with them from the beginning. (I have a school in my 2nd 10 gallon)
They are very active in a larger group, so I don't find the need for a "middle fish" since they are usually all over the tank anyways (on the decor, all over the plants, popping up to the surface here and there).
If I get a 20 gallon or larger, I'm stuffing it full of pymgies xD
Sathori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #13 
TheBlur

Ok so I decided to go with a 10 gallon tank and put my female in it when she's big enough.

I also plan on having a few guppies. I'm familiar with them and have bred/raised them in the past with much success. (Just not with a betta :P ) I'll most likely get all males for color.

I've had my female for a few weeks now (since she was a fry), and she's not showing any signs of aggression or flaring. Mostly she's just really curious about things.

I'd also probably get 1 or 2 ghost shrimp and a snail for algae control.

RECAP:
in a 10 gallon tank
1 betta female
3-5 male guppies
1-2 ghost shrimp/snails (haven't decided yet).
I plan on also having silk plants (not live).

I haven't decided what to do about the groundwork tho (substrate vs gravel/rocks). I've never had substrate before. Is it easier to clean than the rocks or gravel? Also, if I get rocks or gravel can I still have shrimp or will it be too rough for them?

Thanks guys you're being so helpful :) <3
TheBlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #14 
myexplodingcat

Watch out with those colors. Some bettas will get really aggressive if they think a colorful fish is another betta.
myexplodingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #15 
Wiggyl

If in doubt check out aqadvisor.com it's a really useful tool!

A 10g won't be able to hold that much... I recommend endlers! I have some, they're livebearers and some people consider them guppies, but they are quite a bit smaller, so you can do a good size school. Also their fins are shorter, so they're faster and less likely to be victims of betta aggression.
Wiggyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:15 AM   #16 
TheBlur

I wasn't going to aim for the crazy flashy colors.

I've also been considering 3 or so mickey mouse platy instead of guppies... I would consider tetra but I think they need more space than a 10 gallon for a decent sized school right?

I checked Aquadvisor.com too and it said I could put in 3 guppies, 1 female betta, 2 ghost shrimp and a snail at about 90% capacity. I've also heard aquadvisor.com makes it so that your tank is sparingly stocked at 100%.

Any other fast swimming little guys I should consider that my betta girl won't think is a male? XD (just in case the guppies don't work out)

@Wiggyl: omg those are soooo cool looking! I wonder if my petco/petsmart has any...
Old 05-03-2014, 03:23 AM   #17 
TheBlur

Ok so I aqadvisor'd my tank with endlers

I can do
1 betta female
5 endlers guppies
2 ghost shrimp
1 mystery snail

70% stocked with 16% water change per week (Omg thats so low it makes me laugh).

*Note, I also plan on having a filter I just don't have one right now so I can't estimate with that factor as well x3

Also I searched my local Petsmart/Petco online and they don't have any endlers guppies, just fancy tails. Those are the ONLY pet stores in my immediate area. Any suggestions from those particular companies would be helpful as for small community fish to add.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:37 AM   #18 
FrightyDog

as to the Mickey Mouse platies, BeCareful as they die pretty quickly if not in brackish Water. My platy still lived a year, but thats it.
FrightyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #19 
Wiggyl

I got mine at Petsmart...maybe you can ask if they've ever had them. They labeled them as "cobra endler guppies", despite not being the cobra tailed ones! I brought it up and everybody was like what? Anyways, they aren't great at remembering the names of things q=

I would round it up to a nice school of 6 if you can get endlers. I'm pretty sure somebody on the tropicalfishkeeping classified section had some for sale if you want to try getting them that way.
Wiggyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #20 
Agent13
Reference Team

Tetra was only a suggestion I was giving for the 20/25g tank you were considering getting ... Not for a 10g

Sent from Petguide.com App
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corey catfish, guppies, mollies, tank mates