Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #1 
FancyFins

Flare went through the filter :(

I feel sick... I was feeding frozen bloodworms... came back to give him another one... and he was gone. Then I remembered I had swapped his filter with the one that came with the wal mart tank because it was way too much for that little 5 gallon I had meant to work on it but now it's a little late. I can't believe I goofed so bad.

He made it out alive but obviously traumatized and his fins are torn all to pieces

So what can I do to help him???
FancyFins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that. :( Sometimes these things happen, don't blame yourself. At least he's still alive! Do you have a smaller hospital tank? I'd keep him in there, turn the heater on to about 80 degrees F and put aquarium salt in there. That will help his fins grow.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #3 
FancyFins

My hospital tank doubles as a QT so it is currently holding my two new girls. I want to add a divider to my 10 gallon that Flare and Ringo are in and move Paparazzi into that tank and use his tank as a hospital tank but that hasn't happened yet. I just had 5 new Bettas come into my home today so this is bad timing UGH.

I keep all of my tanks at 80* but Flare shares his tank (divided obviously) with Ringo and Ringo had started biting his tail so I upped their temp to 82* and just added some aquarium salt so hopefully that will be enough. I just did a 60% water change today -like a few hours ago- but I will make sure to keep it super clean throughout the next week.

:(
Old 03-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Wow, I bet that scared both of you to death.....
So he got sucked up thru the intake past the propeller and out the overflow......one lucky fish.......Flare is a tough guy so I bet he will be fine...but how are you...your heart rate slow down yet......
I agree with BFC, QT, daily water changes, aquarium salt 1tsp/gal for 7-10days and you should see re-growth/start of healing in 3-5 days.
Fresh clean water will help keep a secondary infection down, a calm stress free environment and if you have IAL or dried oak leaves I would add them too, the amber water can be calming for them plus the antibacterial/fungal properties they provide.......I am sure Flare is stressed a bit.... lucky fella.......and like BFC stated...stuff happens so don't kick yourself over it.......
I love your avatar by the way....

*Also, if it does look like a secondary is coming on- lower the water temp, bacteria thrive best in higher temps...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #5 
FancyFins

My heart is still pounding... it was like my stomach flipped when I realized where he went and why he was missing.

I will take extra good care and keep my eyes on him for the next week.

Oak leaves? I haven't got any IAL on hand yet but I could def. do dried oak leaves.

Thank you so much for the advice. And the avatar is from my bored self playing with a neat picture of Paparazzi. :)
Old 03-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

I'm so sorry. Something similar happened to me once.. I had done a water change and cupped Freddie (because he was constantly getting sucked up by the siphon). I went to pour him back in and he fell into my filter!

I yanked the filter out and dumped Freddie out and he was unscathed luckily but somewhat stressed. I'm lucky that my in-tank filter has the propeller protected so basically he was just swimming in the fast flowing water (it was pushing him up). But I know how scared you felt.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #7 
FancyFins

I;m just beating myself up for it :( I'm going back to petsmart friday and getting another little filter that is much safer and much less of a current. I just hate it because, while his fins weren't correct for a CT, they were pretty. Now? Not so much :( He has calmed down though and I guess since I am treating them both for fin damage I can make it through without my hospital tank.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

What kind of filter is it? I can't understand how he got in?
Old 03-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #9 
FancyFins

It's the 'Aqua Tech power filter' that came with my $30 setup from walmart. The intake guard got knocked off when I was switching it over to his tank and I hadn't realized it until afterwards. It still looks a little scary and I was planning on finding something to make it safer somehow but I didn't realize the whole thing had come off. I can take pictures tomorrow to explain it better.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

I think I know what filter your talking about. That really sucks. My topfin filter is similar where the guard can easily come off. I put one of these on it..

but it doesn't fit as well as it does on my eclipse tank. But as long as you don't move it it stays on (I just have to check it after doing water changes or moving a plant, etc.).

I highly recommend them.. I use them on all my filters. It wouldn't have helped in this situation but it helps protect fins :)