Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #1 
kuklachica

Fin rot on a CT?

I came home from 4 days with my husband's family and it seems one of my CTs has fin rot. His rays cleave a bit then eventually fall off. He is in his own 2.5 gallon, with a filter powered by an air pump. I am trying to cycle it, and do partial or 90% water changes every other day approximately. The 4 days was the first time he had gone that long without a change. I have not done a 100% water change since he's been with me, just 90% at most. I've added salt and IAL, and his temp is around 84*. I am not able to change his water 100% every day or even every other day due to the weird cumbersome shape of his tank. I will be seeding his tank with one of my other tanks once that one is done cycling (it's right in the middle right now).

He is eating fine and acting fine, and has a bubble nest.

What else is there I can do?
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #2 
kuklachica

P.S. How can I tell if he has velvet? He is a blue cambodian (flesh colored iridescent body) and when he swims under the light it seems that he has a yellowish tint to him. Almost like in the summer when the pollen starts to fly and you can see a thin film of pollen on your car? That's what it looks like. Not gold, but yellow. How can I tell?

Sorry for all of the questions!
Old 03-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Velvet looks like tiny/fine sprinkling of gold/brown dust, you can see better in the dark using a flash light, and if that is him in your avatar..wow..he is awesome.....

If you have a filter on the tank IMO/E 50% water changes should be enough.... and on velvet, I treat parasites by natural methods by following the life cycle, I do add turning off the lights with velvet when I don't with other parasites, I raise the temp to 85-86F to speed life cycle, add 1tsp/gal aquarium salt and do deep substrate vacuuming daily for at least 3 days past the last day of symptoms.
I sometimes will do the two tank method especially with my bettas, I use two small QT and move them each day from one to the other and clean them in between for at least 10-14 days.

Also, I know with some of my CT their fins tend to do better in softer water, I collect rain water just for my CT and always keep dried oak leaves (same as IAL) in their water, what is your pH, GH, KH.....

For early stages of fin rot I do the daily 100% water changes in QT setting, oak leave, aquarium salt 1tsp/g... temp 76F to help inhibit bacterial growth and feed a high protein diet to promote healing, I use fresh crushed garlic with my high protein homemade food and increase their feeding from 1 time a day to 3 times a day and keep the pH in the 6.8-7 range.

Sometimes the cycling process can be hard on CT fins...these guys or at least mine seem to be more sensitive to this than my doubles and combs.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:26 AM   #4 
kuklachica

Thank you. I don't think he has velvet. When I shine my desk light on him he just has a yellow sheen. Not shiny, and not gold, just yellow. I think it's part of his coloring.

I will lower my temp. I am not sure of my pH, but I can check it. I am pretty sure we have soft water and I add IAL extract to it anyway.

I have added garlic to the pellets and keep it in the fridge and feed him morning and night with the garlic pellets, 2 per feeding.

The guy in my avatar is my HM guy.... who has since bit his tail!! (see my picture post "Absolutely Ridiculous"). My CT guy, Cielo, is this guy (minus a few rays!):