Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #1 
Giri

Exclamation Water Conditioner issue: Fear for little Leon!

Leon,my lovely little betta, has been sitting around all day at the top of his tank. I think it's because of what happened last night.

I was doing his 100% water change as necessary,since his 50% was done the other day, and I broke his thermometer.I was frustrated by this and ended up just putting him back in the water ,once I had already done my hot water clean and thankfully with proper temp water already in,yet I forgot the water conditioner! I realized today not long ago and put the normal amount of conditoner in! I tapped on the tank as his 'chilling at the top of the tank' behavior was bothering me.I'm so worried! He won't move until I try to scoop him out with a cup.Though he's had days were he hasn't moved much,I fear I may of really hurt him!
Please help! I am worried about Leon!
Giri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Chloramine destroys the oxygen carrying cells and goes through the fish’s tissue directly into the bloodstream and chlorine irritates the skin and attacks the gill membranes, effectively suffocating fish, large and long expose to both of these usually kills the fish within 24 hours, hopefully your city water has/uses low doses of both and you caught it in time.
I would go ahead and do some daily water changes and use dechlorinator and aquarium salt 1tsp/gal and hope for the best...stuff happens to all of us so don't kick yourself over this....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #3 
Giri

Ok,thank you,unfortunately I do not have any salts currently.I am kicking myself ,though I now I shouldn't -sigh- I suppose I'll grab salt tomorrow?Would it just be at a local pet shop?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Kosher salt will work too, the kind for pickling, the anti-caking agents is what you want to avoid, the iodine is not as harmful as some may think, it is actually good in some cases, however, not may fish have goiter problems.....and I would not recommend using it or any salt long term due to kidney related problems it can cause.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #5 
Giri

I suppose no table salt? He has moved a few times, but starts to turn on his side every now and then. Is moving him to asmaller tank ok?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

I've done that on accident and then remembered freaking out and putting water conditioner in. I haven't lost any of the fish I accidently did this to.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've done that, too but realized it about 2 minutes later and everything was ok.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

If he is struggling to breath, lowering the water level can be helpful for him, also turn off the light and even cover his tank to provide a calm place for him to rest.

I am so glad I have well water and I don't have to remember to use products/additives...because I would forget........

I hope your wet pet recovers......
Old 03-10-2010, 06:11 AM   #9 
Giri

Leon survived the night! And he is far more responsive then before! I'm so happy,but I don't think I'm out of the woods yet. I plan on keeping him in the small tank I had on hand ((turns out those small Betta kits are useful!)) for the day,and have it covered so he'll be able to relax.I'm getting more water conditioner tonight ((yay!)) with a thermometer and aquarium salt.Is there anything else to do?

Thank you so much by the way! I was so worried!Thank you!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:31 AM   #10 
neekis

[quote=Oldfishlady;341484]I am so glad I have well water and I don't have to remember to use products/additives...because I would forget........[quote]

Quick question...I have well water also, do you think I can skip the water conditioner? I use the softened water and have done the "dip stick" test, which I now know is pretty useless. I'm going to Petco today to pick up the API Master Test Kit that you suggested on a previous thread. Also, can I ask what your numbers are for your water? (just so I have something to go on.)

Giri - I hope Leon continues to do better! Please keep us posted.
neekis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergancy, fear, help!, salt, water