Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #1 
emma2010

Boys laying on the bottom of tank

I have a 30 gallon tank that is divided into 3 spots. I've had two of my boys in it for about 2 weeks and my 3rd was added about 2 or 3 days ago. My new boy is floating behind the internal filter(he's not very active during the day) but my other two are laying on the bottom of the tank. Normally they are very active. The temp in the tank is 82 degrees. The only thing that has changed(besides adding my newest boy)is I took the original filter out.(The large filter was pushing the middle fish around and the dividers were preventing the other sections from filtering. I bought Tetra Internal Filters for each section) Is this a reaction to the change in current or should I be concerned for my fish? As far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with either fish, aside from the inactivity.

Oh, and I've only got one of the filters put in as of now. I noticed the inactivity and decided to try and find the problem before continuing the renovations.
emma2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:24 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What are your water pram numbers: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH
How much and how often on the water changes and when was the last one, how long has the tank been set up and is it cycled> any additives use? what kind, how much, what for..
When you see a change in behavior odds are it is a water quality problem and the best treatment is a water change, depending on the nitrate level, it will help you decide how much water to change so not to shock the fish.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:25 PM   #3 
xxabc

Maybe since you took out the original filter, you ruined the entire 30 gallon cycle?. I would imagine the filter cartridge is gone, that housed the beneficial bacteria good for a cycle. Suddenly taking it out probably destroyed the cycle, if any, so you'll be starting over in terms of ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, etc. That's just my one-second thought.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #4 
doubleatheman

Isn't most of the cycle bacteria in the gravel?

I know that this is more true for tanks with under gravel filters. I have always used bio balls in my tanks to provide more surface area for the good bacteria. And if you swap tanks you can take some of your good bacteria with you! (some, but it helps)

doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

The nitrifying bacteria that make up the biological filter are sticky and adhere to everything inside the tank, like the walls, decorations, plants both real and fake, in the top layer of the substrate and in the filter media, very little is in the water column itself, more surface area with good oxygen/water circulation the better for the nitrifying bacteria to thrive and colonize for a cycled tank.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:00 PM   #6 
emma2010

I had to replace all of the water about 4 days ago to put in the last divider. The tank has been up for about 1 month. It's had two complete water changes since then.(both times for dividers. I originally only wanted to divide it once) As far as cycling-no, at least not on purpose. I use Tetra Aquasafe to make the tap water safe. 5ml per 10g is what it says to use on the bottle. It sounds like I need to cycle my tank? What do I need to do that? Also, after I took out the big filter(about 1 week ago) I put in a slightly smaller filter. The fish did not seem bothered by this change BUT I used the same filter cartridge. The Tetra internal filters use smaller cartridges. This all seems to lead back to cycling. I'm installing the last two Internal filters now, is this a good idea?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:02 PM   #7 
xxabc

Yeah, a lot is in the gravel, but EVEN MORE is in the filter cartridge. So I wouldnl't say most is in the gravel. A very nice amount is in the filter cartridge actually. Gravel definitely helps, since it can cause a minicycle when aggravated, but completely removing original filter cartridge can nearly murder a cycle. But I don't know what her tank looks like, but I still wouldn't be surprised if she had to start over, or close to over.

EDIT: Sorry, you posted while I was typing!
Well if you kept the filter cartridge, that's real good then. Someone else can help with you with cycling, apologies, I sorta shouldn't be on this website right now ;)
Nothing else flows through my mind ATM.

And yeah, go ahead and add the two filters.

And almost everything in the aquarium hobby leads to cycling, lol. (Not really).

Last edited by xxabc; 03-08-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:16 PM   #8 
emma2010

I do still have the cartridge but both the filters that it fits make too much of a current for at least one of my boys, no matter how I place it. I'm fairly certain I saw a post about cycling on here somewhere, perhaps I should start reading up on that and prepare to cycle my tank? Will my boys be alright in the tank as it is now? I honestly have nowhere's else for them save for the cups that they came in. (I have two 1g holding tanks but they're full. I have 2 others that are awaiting payday and a 10g.) Also, will each individual section need to be cycled specificlly or will the entire tank cycle as one. The dividers have very tiny holes that allow the water to pass through but nothing else. (Keep in mind I have no idea how to cycle, in case that's a dumb question)
Old 03-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #9 
xxabc

Again I'm in a hurry. Definitely read the thread here on cycling, and read as MANY as you can on Google, Yahoo, and what not. Good way to kill time.

Treat the entire tank as one, since basically it is one. Is the filter cartridge inside the water as we speak? If not, how long has it been out?

You should definitely keep them in the 30 gallon, but be careful with water changes. 30 gallon is quite big, so you COULD relax? NOt sure on cycling with bigger tanks. Do water changes very often while it's cycling.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:31 PM   #10 
emma2010

No the cartridge is not. Thanks so much for your help. :) I just took it out today. Should I float it in the tank?