Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #1 
Kyle14

possible injured betta :/

My girlfriend and i are currently home on spring break from college and on our way home we had a freak accident with our one betta. while driving on the highway we figured they would be fine in their original bowls on the dashboard of our car but while driving i switched lanes and hit a pothole, causing one of the bettas to go flying off. we were able to pick up the bowl quickly after it happened and she didnt fall out but we think one of her fins could have possibly been injured. its been 4 days since it happened and the betta has been very sluggish and hasnt really been swimming at all. when it just sits around the back end of her body floats higher then the rest of her body. shes still able to swim because when i tried taking her out of her original tank to put her back in her small bowl she was able to get away from the net like usual. could she be injured or is there possibly something else wrong?

could this also be from temperature shock? we have tried to keep them in the warmest room in the house but every once in a while the temp drops a few degrees but then goes back to where it was. were trying everything we can to keep them healthy while were home so they make it back to good conditions at college. any advice? :/
Kyle14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

It sounds like you don't have a heater for the tank. Since they are warm water fish, they need to be in water that's at least 76-80 degrees F. What size tank is she in? She could still be in shock and being in cold water makes them lethargic and not happy campers. Do you have lots of plants and hiding places for her? I've found that females feel more comfortable with more plants and hiding places than males do. Probably because they're smaller. Do you use water conditioner? I would put some aquarium salt in her tank after each water change.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

her tail being higher than her head sounds like something could be wrong with her swim bladder, I've never had issues with swim bladder's before so I don't know how you would treat it.

You definitely do need to get a heater. You can try putting aquarium salt in her tank for ~10 days (no more!) but I don't think it would help.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #4 
Kyle14

our betta died. my girlfriend woke up this morning and the betta was swimming around and happy and went back an hour later and it was dead :/
Kyle14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about your betta!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #6 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Oh noo! I'm so sorry. :(
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote