Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #1 
neekis

Trick for feeding frozen bloodworms??

Alright, decided to get the frozen blood worms instead of giving Neekis the freeze-dried ones. So I get home and try to get a few out...end up with about 10. Trying to feed him with these are a bit crazy. Only fed him 3 and threw out the rest since I probably have enough for the rest of his life! But, when I put them in, they like to sink. I don't like to leave food in the tank, so I took a straw and after many attempts, I got it back up. Neekis ate it, but then had to get the other back up...what a pain!

Anyway, I suppose some of you are thinking I'm a bit crazy, but is there a trick to feeding them these things without going through all that trouble? Would he find it if I left it on the bottom for awhile? Any suggestions would be great.

P.S. Maybe I'm just being too anal about this whole "keeping leftover food in the tank" thing!
neekis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Mine all get so excited they miss half of them. Give him 1/2 hour and I'll bet you won't find any left in the tank.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

I have used chopsticks (didn't work so well) and forceps (blunt tweezers) to feed frozen food. The forceps work really well. I would just hand feed them but I'm too spazzy to do that.

You can also try feeding them slower. No matter what I'm feeding I feed one at a time so I know the fish got it. Especially my older guy who's not as quick as he once was.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #4 
neekis

Thanks! I was thinking about a tweezers...but all I have are extremely pointy ones or the ones I use on my eyebrows! I tried feeding one at a time which worked for the first one, but not the second. Of course, Freddy (my 3 yr old son) wants to feed him....oh boy, I've really created some chaos now!

I guess I will invest in some forceps...wow, my fish supplies are adding up! (But Neekis is SO worth it!)

thanks again!
Old 03-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

if your three year old doesn't mind why not let him hand feed the fish? I think that would be a great bonding exercise and a great way to teach him more about fish and animal care in general :)
Old 03-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #6 
kelly528

A pipette is a VERY useful tool. A mini turkey-baster for lack of a better turn. My betta slurps the BW right out of it!
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Thats a good idea... I'll have to steal.. ahem.. I mean "borrow" some from the bio dept
Old 03-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #8 
jeaninel

I also use a eyedropper like Kelly528. I'll thaw them in a cup of tank water then use the eyedropper to drop one or two at a time into the bettas tanks. They'll also hunt along the bottom of the tank if any fall to the bottom before they get them.
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #9 
truthequalslies

I feed thisbe froze brine shrimp but wat I do is use a cheap submersible sponge filter cheap on ebay mine is jebo it keeps a currant that makes them look alive so its funto watch her hunt them down an also gives her plenty of exercise ( thisbe likes currants but som bettas don't )
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:31 AM   #10 
neekis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
if your three year old doesn't mind why not let him hand feed the fish? I think that would be a great bonding exercise and a great way to teach him more about fish and animal care in general :)
Actually thats what added to all the chaos . (I guess I should have added that in my original post.) He does all the feeding and you should see the fun when we change the water! We all have a good time - including Neekis! And I think Neekis bonded with Freddy immediately. As soon as Freddy is even near the tank, Neekis starts to get excited. I"m just sooo glad we got this fish!