Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2014, 01:28 AM   #1 
Cerulean

Question Poor little sick dude!

So I have been fighting to treat my little guy of bad fin rot for almost 3 months now. He lost his whole entire dorsal fin and started into body rot on the scales, and a bunch of his caudal fin fin. I have done 2 treatments of maracyn 2 and several salt treatments and a triple sulphur treatment also some very clean water during all of it and a little betta fix at times too. Every time I think I am winning and he might be starting to heal, a couple days to a week go by and then I see more signs of rot again. Although the caudal would seems white and not raw and pink anymore the scales around it are a funny metallic shade and now his tail and anal fin are starting to shred and drop pieces. He doesn't flare except once In a blue moon, he is eating, and I have increased quality of food for healing, he stills comes to see me and interact but I feel bad. His color all over changes often, almost like a marble but I don't think be is, I wonder if it is stress, it is like he gets circles of dark color and parts that are metallic and then others are one color and the next you look at them they are different.?

Someone told me if he is still fighting that I should too but I feel so bad for him, it must hurt and he can't swim right because of the fin loss. I don't know what else to do and wonder if uthinizing wouldn't be kinder for him. I have ordered IAL but they will be weeks before they are here. No matter what I do he just keeps rotting get away slowly, I have heard that when it gets to body rot it is often impossible to fix. He also has been sitting in this weird almost s like position all the time since this started and I don't know if it is comfort or what?

Advice please, I will put info again down below.

2.5 get tank
Heater to 76, warmer when room is warmer.
Food is mixture of omega one pellets and Hikari pellets 2-3 a day and frozen bloodworms about once a week. Fasting one day a week or if they look bloated up.
Water changes 2-3 times per week, usually 25-50 and one almost 90% per week. Water additives are water conditioner, biological filter/water additive and immune booster.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Sponge filter with air pump

Please let me know what I should do as I feel helpless watching him suffer like this, and to make things worse my old boy is coming to the end of his life I think. He looks fine except for a bit of thinning tail fin but has been acting stranger and stranger over the last 6 months. Sometimes he floats upright and no amount of Epsom salt baths or soaks will help. He does and can swim and sit straight again but is just acting odd. He has a harder time eating for about a year now as I think he can't see well. He misses alot and I have to direct food around in front of him a while before he gets it, but he does eat. Until the last week he was always a character and would rush up to greet me and flare but now he does swim up a bit but no longer flares at me. He is almost 4 so I fear he may just be a senior fish but it sucks so much to have him failing and the other in such bad shape..

Sad fishy owner who just wants her boys to be happy. Help! And Thanks.

Last edited by Cerulean; 04-29-2014 at 01:34 AM.
Cerulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:21 AM   #2 
Cerulean

So I think after looking at marble pictures that may be his coloring issue. He was lighter and now has dark spots and it was like he changed overnight but that was before his fin rot. He changes daily sometimes in his color, it is a little alarming for sure. That and I liked his other color so very much as that is why I bought him and now he looks so different, not bad just not as stunning although that said he is missing half his fins too so that may have something to do with it.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:24 AM   #3 
Netti

You sound so sad and discouraged, and understandably so. I don't know what else you could try except maybe keeping his tank a little warmer (around 80) and doing daily water changes to keep his water extremely clean to give him the best chance possible.

I've heard of garlic being a natural immune-booster, so soaking his food in garlic juice could help him being able to fight infections on his own, provided he has warm, very clean water as his environment.

I wish for you, that things will turn around for your little dude. Sadly there is nothing you can do to stop the natural progression in your older Betta, but seeing how long he has lived already, you must have provided such good care for him, so he is one of the lucky ones!
Netti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:12 AM   #4 
Cerulean

Thanks I appreciate your kind words. Oddly enough I tried getting another heater for 10-30 gallon tanks and it kept it no warmer. The one I have now is for 2-15 and keeps it at 76 and the expensive one I had before that was for around the same tank size only kept it at maybe 72-74.i want to keep them warm but can't spend another 45 bucks on new ones as I did with the first ones, as I don't have it and have spent a bunch on trying to get all the medicines to treat this guy and I have limited funds. So he is a couple degrees warmer atleast and as it gets warmer they will too.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:42 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

Can you post some photos of him? One from awhile back and a current one would be very helpful.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:02 AM   #6 
Cerulean

OK hopefully they will come up the right way, sometimes they like to spin or end up huge. The avatar is him in his splendor, then the first 5 are of him a couple weeks ago after last treatment before true sulpha treatment and the after previous 2 maracas 2 treatments w3ks apart and when he was starting to regrow spines and fin on dorsal fin. The last 7 are of him today with a white empty patch on his back and more fin on tail and bottom piecing away. Attachment 346090

Attachment 346098

Attachment 346106

Attachment 346114

Attachment 346122
Sorry for the last two being upside down, I didn't do anything different and I don't know how to flip them.

Now for the most recent sad pictures.
Name:  20140430_002105.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  20140430_002040.jpg
Size:  45.4 KB

Name:  20140430_002000.jpg
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  20140430_001949.jpg
Size:  69.8 KB

Name:  20140430_001925.jpg
Size:  88.1 KB

Name:  20140430_001837.jpg
Size:  74.5 KB

Name:  20140430_001820.jpg
Size:  68.5 KB

Thanks, sorry for so many but I wanted a clear picture for you of what is going on. Hopefully you can view on something you can turn upside down to view the inverted picture. Lol. Tested water again tonight and all is perfect as usual, as it was when this all started
Old 04-30-2014, 03:09 AM   #7 
Cerulean

Arggggh for some reason the first five didn't show so I will try again here. Name:  20140412_173152.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  48.6 KB

Name:  20140403_231957.jpg
Size:  55.3 KB

Name:  20140403_231944.jpg
Size:  49.1 KB

Name:  20140403_230827.jpg
Size:  53.9 KB

Name:  20140403_230732.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  59.8 KB
Old 04-30-2014, 07:04 AM   #8 
Stone

You can try some jungle fungus clear fizz tablets/tank buddies, it seems to work wonders, and for a heater you can get one of these http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-subm...ater-gh50.html
I have several of these heaters different sizes, tanks, filters and so on from them and I have been extremely happy with everything so far, great prices free shipping, it is a bit of an overkill for your tank but it is adjustable and will only warm the water to what it is set too, but as always double check with a thermometer and adjsut accordlingly
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:09 AM   #9 
Cerulean

Thx stone I appreciate the reference but as I am in Canada with exchange and shipping they are about 40 bucks each which is what I was trying to avoid. Thanks though.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:40 AM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

Poor little guy!

+1 on Stone's suggestion to use Jungle Fungus Clear.

For issues such as severe fin rot, I recommend the furan medications, such as API Furan 2, Hikari Bifuran, or Jungle Fungus Clear.

Since it's already attacking his body, I would treat it aggressively. You may need to do more than one treatment cycle with the medication in order to see results.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote