I did 2 cycles with the maracyn 2 and then 1 cycle of triple sulpha as that was recommended next. I live out of town and won't be going to the big city until next Thursday and I am not sure if I can get the jungle products here in Canada. If they are a Petsmart product the chance is better that I may be able to here. So I have 2 questions then, one, should I do another treatment of triple sulpha now until I can see what fun gal medicine I can get? Or 2, is is possible after all this that it is already too far gone after over 3 months now of treatments? I don't want to give up on the little guy but I also don't want to prolong his suffering just to have him die worse off and hurting more.
Do you know the pH of the water? Different medications are more, or less, effective at specific pH's.
Personally, I would try using one of the furan meds: API Triple Sulfa, Hikari Bifuran, or Jungle Fungus Clear.
Petsmart carries API Furan 2. (At least the stores in the US carry it. I don't know what's available on Canada.)
We all have our own medication preferences..... But here are my opinions on them:
Maracyn 2 (minocycline) is a good antibiotic, but it's been around awhile so some bacteria is now resistant to it. Also, it can be harsh on the internal organs.
Triple Sulfa is also a good medication, too. It's extremely effective against many aquatic illnesses.
With regard to fin rot and body rot, IME, these are often caused by gram negative bacterial infections, and IME, the furan group is very effective at treating this. So that would be my antibiotic preference.
I usually prefer not to mix medications, but I don't like that the rot has already set into his body. That makes it harder to treat.... So if this was my fish, I would start with something like API Furan 2. If that isn't effective, do a second treatment cycle of it, and add another broad spectrum antibiotic, such as Kanaplex.
Generally, I prefer to reserve Kanaplex (kanamycin sulfate) for internal bacterial infections. But the infection has started to attack his body, so I would want to treat it quickly. It's one of the milder antibiotics, so it can be coupled with something like API Furan 2.
I so greatly appreciate all of your time and help, and I will be keeping this info for further knowledge although I am desperately hoping not to experience this again. This morning I looked and the rot has spread alot more down his back and is bright red and open I stead of white like it has been. I know alot of people would treat this aggressively and might even win against the rot, however at this point I feel so very bad for the little guy as he is suffering and has been for 3 months now. As soon as I noticed it I started treating immediately with salt, and then with much advice from here and a very reputable pet store in the city, I also treated many courses with 2 different meds and it just keeps getting worse. So after much thought and worry and sadness I have decided I don't want him to suffer any more. I know it is a hard thing to ask someone to explain but could you tell me how I can humanly uthenize him. Then he will be able to swim fast and freely in all his glory under the rainbow bridge. I didn't want to give up but I just don't think I can win this and he is suffering, and sometimes as pet owners we need to do what is best for them and although this is a hard choice it is time, I can't watch my beautiful boy melt and rot away before my eyes any longer. Thanks for your help and understanding, sincerely,Nicole
Hi Nicole. I understand your decision. I've never euthanized a fish. Some people on this forum have used clove oil to do it, though. Clove oil acts as an anesthetic when used for surgical procedures. To euthanize instead, a larger amount is used so that the fish goes to sleep, and doesn't wake up. IIRC, clove oil can be purchased at places like Walgreens. I'm sorry.....
Thank you LBF it is hard to do but I believe necessary. I posted another thread and that is what Iwas told also. Also it is not that I will be getting another one right away as I believe you come across the one you are supposed to have when it is right, but someday I will. So I want to know how to properly disinfect the tank and stuff Inside as well as the sponge filter, so when I do come across the fish I am meant to have he will have a safe clean tank to go into. Any recommendations? Then I can clean it all really good and put it away for now. Again, thanks for everything.
Nicole, as for the tank, Calypso died mostly from old age. The infection probably took hold because he was older, so his immune system wasn't as strong as when he was younger. So I don't think your tank needs any major 'disinfection.' If you think you may get another fish in the near (or somewhat near) future, just do a series of partial water changes. The tank is probably well-cycled, so there's no point in losing that, if you think you may be using the tank again soon....
If you planning on putting his tank into storage for quite awhile, then just use hot water. If there are deposits on the glass, use vinegar to remove them. Let everything dry thoroughly, and then put it away..... But personally, I hope that you consider getting another fish. You took good care of Calypso for 4 years, which means you know how to care for fish and give them a good home.
My old guy Cerulean is acting a little strange now and then and has been really slowing down over the last 6 months or so, doesn't always flair at me and sometimes like to hang out vertically but other than that he is fine just an old man that has always been a real character and I will miss him when he goes for sure but he is still (swimming) lol