Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #1 
crow410

betta spawning

so ive had my bettas for some time now and i diseded i wanted to breed them iv ben feeding then pelets and blood worms. the female is prity fat ant the male has ben making bubble nests alot and so when i put her in a flowting contaner in his tank he doubled the size or his nest. and when i put her in the tank he just chased her not vary agresavly like he would find her then circle around her with his gills out then like strike at her i was wandering if that is normal and now she is hiding from him and i also was wondering what one u leve in the tank with the eggs m or f.

thanks for our time and plece replay
crow410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Male the female is no use to the eggs. But some females have raised spawns. I heard one story where a male and female built seperate nests and tended the eggs and fry together. But I'd just leave the male in there. Be sure to do alot of research if you havent already and ask any questions you may have :) .
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #3 
Chicklet

Remove the female as soon as possible after they spawn otherwise the male may very well kill the female.
It is rare that a female ever helps in the bubblenest, So don't risk it!

The male should go back and forth working on the nest and flirting, If he aggressively attacks her I would remove her and try again another time, To many times when they show serious aggression towards one another one ends up terrible riddled, and its not always the female that gets riddled either. Don't be fooled thinking everythings ok,
I just don't feel its worth it and simple try again until they are more passive towards each other and the male spends more time going back and forth from working on the nest to flirting.

I have one beautiful male here now that I stupidly ignored my rule, went to bed and left them,
He ain't no beauty now, She riddled him!
Never leave them unattended, you just don't know

Last edited by Chicklet; 02-27-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
Remove the female as soon as possible after they spawn otherwise the male may very well kill the female.
It is rare that a female ever helps in the bubblenest, So don't risk it!

The male should go back and forth working on the nest and flirting, If he aggressively attacks her I would remove her and try again another time, To many times when they show serious aggression towards one another one ends up terrible riddled, and its not always the female that gets riddled either.
I just don't feel its worth it and simple try again until they are more passive towards each other and the male spends more time going back and forth from working on the nest to flirting.

I have one beautiful male here now that I stupidly ignored my rule, went to bed and left them,
He ain't no beauty now, She riddled him!
Same thing happened to me but it wasn't very bad but I just left them alone and now I have about 200 fry. So I guess it just depends on the fish and the breeding setup, amount of hiding places etc. But if they are very aggressive get them out of their.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #5 
Chicklet

Actually when it comes to spawning no amount of hiding places, Nor the breeding setup. will make a difference if one doesn't want to be bother or changes their mind.,

It will totally depend on the fish and their given moods,

Even after being riddled this guy would hunt until he found her,
Even after removing her he was still determined he wanted babies, But I couldn't rish it at that point

This same female was always very passive, But obviously not this time,

Last edited by Chicklet; 02-27-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

Actually I take that back. This happened twice my beautiful gold HM dosent have fins left but my red VT is healing up well from the spawning.

Actually what I meant by hiding places was so that they could hide until you could get them out of there.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #7 
crow410

thanks for all the info guys its realy helping right now she is hiding and he is going from looking for her to his bubble nest lol he makes me laugh with his abseson with his nest lol and i was wondering how much time it could take for them to do enything together ?? and once againg thanks
Old 02-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #8 
Chicklet

Quote:
i was wondering how much time it could take for them to do enything together ??
It can take very little time up to several days, It all depends on your Fish
Old 02-27-2010, 04:42 PM   #9 
doggyhog

I can take anywhere from half an hour to half a week. :P Last time I spawned they were breeding within half an hour of me releasing her! But, it can take days too.

What are you planning on feeding the fry?
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:43 AM   #10 
crow410

i have flowting plants i read somewere on this site that they will eat of this for the first week then i can us cruched fish flaks and if that dont work i have frozen brain shrimp blood worms and iv made that egg youk stuff b4 would that work other wis what what do u like to feed your fry

Last edited by crow410; 02-28-2010 at 12:46 AM.