Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #1 
FireKidomaru

Question I have a question

I'm thinking about getting new tanks for my 3 boys and I am wondering were I might find cheap, good quality, tanks for my boys who I love soooooo much. Thanks for the help.
FireKidomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #2 
bloo97

Thumbs up Good Stuff...

Well, I went to Pet Supplies Plus and found an aqueon tank (2.5 gallons) that has a built in filter and light for about $39.99. There was $19.99 one with the same stuff just 1 gallon. Here is a pic of mine.
100_2841.jpg
Attached Images

bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Your local craigs list, yard sales are a couple of good place to get cheap tanks.
I don't pay more than $1/gal on tank only, if they have equipment with them like pumps, filters, heaters, lights/hoods etc.....I won't pay that much for them all depending on what they look like, how old they are, how long used...etc.....
When I buy used, even when they say "no leaks" which may be true, but after they sit dry, or the move in general from being twisted or moved with water..... I do a leak test anyway and check seals.
I always clean them with a diluted bleach and let them sit full of water for 24 hours or longer to make leak test and with the diluted bleach in the full tank I will set up and run the filter on it too, one, to clean it with the bleach and to check to see if it works, to listen to it...etc.....If I got a used heater I like to do the same thing to check if it works and to clean.
I use razor blades to scrape off lime scale, dried algae and the crud in general.
Hood and light, I check and I always put in a new bulb regardless of what I am told about its age.
Gravel, I toss, decoration I drop in the beach water and clean up, but usually I toss most of that stuff too

I know this is more than what you asked for and you may already know this and do this....but just in case...I thought I would share as I have never bought a brand new aquarium......I get them for free or used...

Another good place to get free tanks especially in college towns, when school lets out for the summer go hit the dumpsters....wow....the stuff these kids throw out.........I have found 3 tanks this way and one was half full 55g with a fish ( common pleco) still alive in it.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #4 
bloo97

Quote:
with a fish ( common pleco) still alive in it.....
How Cruel!
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

I agree with OFL.. craigslist, yardsales, flea markets, thriftstores,etc are the best place to find the best deals.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I forgot about thrift stores and goodwill......I need to go check them out myself....lol......and I need another tank....lol......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #7 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I've seen a lot of people mentioning getting tanks at goodwill. I don't need any more tanks, but if I did, I'd look there.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

LOL I got my fantastic 4gallon Hex from the thrift store that is run by the local Humane Society.. I need to go back to see if they have any more stuff in

I think I'm going to go to the flea market on sunday and see if I can find anything there. Saturday I'm getting a 6 and possibly a 10 gal at my fish meeting and picking up a 20 high next week... I have MTS bad! LOL
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #9 
doggyhog

If you can, I'd check CL for cheap 10g tanks and then you can just divide it into three parts. Only once a week water changes. Easy. :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #10 
FireKidomaru

Maybe this weekend or even tomarrow I will ask my dad if we can drive to good will and I can take my fish money and see what they have. Im looking for smaller tanks (2.5 - 3 gallons). It needs to fit in my room. I will go look!
FireKidomaru is offline   Reply With Quote