Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #1 
patmacd

I'm losing Lyndon...please help if you can.

Lyndon is my first betta so I'm trying to learn all I can. I've had him almost a year and kept him in a 1/2 gallon tank with only a silk plant until just recently when he got sick. The only thing I had changed was the gravel, and he developed popeye shortly afterwards. I have since moved him into a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter and a mini heater and at the moment have no gravel in his tank. The temperature now stays between 78-80 degrees. He hasn't eaten for about 6 days now. I'm treating him with Maracyn and Maracyn 2 and he seems to be getting worse. He still has popeye and now his fins seem to be closed. I try to feed him but he doesn't come to the top of the water anymore and usually sits on the bottom or on a leaf of the silk plant in his tank. I'm really afraid I'm losing him and it's breaking my heart. What else can I do for him?
patmacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How old is he and how long have you been treating with antibiotics, what kind of water changes have you been making during the treatments, any other additives used.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #3 
patmacd

I got Lyndon last April and don't know how old he was when I got him. I've had him on Maracyn 2 for at least a week or more and then added Maracyn as well because he wasn't getting any better. I've done both 50% and 100% water changes while treating with the meds because I've gotten mixed messages on what to do. I'm using tap water with a water conditioner and aquarium salt. I just tried soaking his food in garlic but he's not interested in eating and is now just lying on the bottom of the tank. I'm desperate to save him and don't know what else I can do.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Most Bettas sold at box stores are 5-6 months old, you have had him near a year, so this would make him roughly 11/2 more or less and middle aged IMO/E, many thing can affect the aging process and life span of this species IME related to care, water quality, diet, exercise, genes, general health, that said, it sound like you are doing everything you can but some things are out of our control.
You have been treating him with antibiotics for over 7 days and he has not improved.
What I would do, stop everything, all meds, salt, get him in some clean fresh dechlorinated tap water, make 50% daily water changes, I would keep my water temp in more the low range of 76-78F area, hold food, turn off the light and give him the right condition to heal himself or die a peaceful death. Or keep on the antibiotic for as per the direction on the package and treat for 14 days, these guy are tough and can amaze you on their recovery...good luck....
Old 03-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #5 
patmacd

Thank you. He's mostly lying in the bottom of his tank now. Should I reduce the level of the water to see if it might encourage him to go to the top? If I do, then I can't run the filter. I also tried feeding him a pea but he's not interested in eating anything. I'm going to take your suggestion to do a complete water change and then 50% afterwards. I've been using a water conditioner with each change according to the instructions but I don't have a tester for chlorine. Should I get one? Also, do i need a tester for pH? If the worst happens and I lose Lyndon, I want to get another betta but want to make sure I get everything right. Thanks again.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

If your water conditioner treat for chlorine IMO you don't need a tester. Testing for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH are important and getting a liquid testing supplies is always a good idea especially when you plan to be in this hobby long term, the API master kit is a good investment IMO and last forever in most cases.
Yes, lowering the water level and turning off the filter can help, also I would do 50% water changes daily and make sure the water is close in temp between new and old water, this is less stressful on them, hold all food for now and if he perks up give him his staple diet in very small amounts to start.