Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2010, 11:57 PM   #1 
Jessiefish

Stupid question RE: sand.

I'm contemplating changing the substrate in my 6 gallon Eclipse to sand. The tank houses a Betta, an ADF, ghost shrimp and live plants. Is the sand a safe substrate for all my critters, or should I stick with gravel?
Jessiefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #2 
glassmouse

I have a newly cycled tank with substrate that consists of sand and mixed size gravel. Last night I was doing my first vacuuming of the substrate and the sand kept getting sucked up by the vacuum and clogging the tube. It was a pain to keep stopping to unclog the tube. Right now I'm a little sorry I used substrate that contains sand. I'd love to hear any tips to make this easier.
glassmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #3 
2brown347

Sand will be fine with all you fish/ critters. Just make sure to do your research on whatever sand you decide to use. Some need extensive rinsing before, some don't; plants die in some and thrive in others, etc.

Also make sure you know whats involved with sand (stirring to avoid bubbles or getting something to mix it up)
2brown347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:33 AM   #4 
Hadouken441

Fool filter sand. Easiest to clean, too heavy to cloud water but soft enough for even cory cat whiskers.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #5 
SaylorKennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassmouse View Post
I have a newly cycled tank with substrate that consists of sand and mixed size gravel. Last night I was doing my first vacuuming of the substrate and the sand kept getting sucked up by the vacuum and clogging the tube. It was a pain to keep stopping to unclog the tube. Right now I'm a little sorry I used substrate that contains sand. I'd love to hear any tips to make this easier.
Keep the vacuum 1/2" above the sand. It will still pick up all the gunk, but not the sand. :)
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote