Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #1 
animalluvergrl

Question Which fish species can go with a male betta in a 26 gallon tank?

Hello there everyone. I am new to this forum, but not to betta fish. I've only ever kept one betta of either gender per tank, so I'm not certain which other fish can get along with a betta.

I am basically just making plans now. I would like to get a 26 gallon tank kit from Marineland (with the BioWheel, 3 stage filtration, etc). So, that pretty much leaves me with 22-23 inches of fish space left, right? Since bettas reach a max of about 3 inches long?
I also don't plan on stocking it to the max, either.

Anyways, I know that the tankmates can't be fin nibblers, and can't be faster moving than the betta (or else the betta wouldn't get enough food, right?). They also need to be "rated" as peaceful temperament, correct?

I had some people on another forum suggest tetras, maybe guppies (depending on the species of guppy is what they said), and they might've said something about mollies too...

Anyways, any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks in advance.
animalluvergrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. It really depends on the temperament of the betta as to whether he'll do ok with tankmates or not. A lot of people keep corydoras catfish with their bettas with no problem. African dwarf frogs and ghost shrimp are also good tankmates. I'm sure others will come along soon and tell you their opinions and experiences.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

I wouldn't go by the inches per gallon rule.. that is a really simple guideline and there is much more involved in stocking.

In a 26 gallon community the first thing your going to want to do is plant it IMO live plants and lots of them is the best way to make a betta comfortable in a community. Next I would look into getting mainly bottom feeders: corys, snails, and shrimp. ADFs don't do well in tall tanks as it is too hard for them to swim to the top for air.

Of course in a tall tank you are going to want to have some top dwelling fish. For people that want bettas I would first suggest going with a female sorority. If you want to have a male though you need to know that he has a mellow personality. If he is overly aggressive I would NOT put him in. Other top dwelling fish that could work are tetras (not the bright guys) but they have been known to fin nip, I've heard of guppies working as well but I wouldn't suggest it. Tetras are probably your best bet.

To be perfectly honest I would go with either a female sorority and no other top dwelling fish or a female betta and schooling fish such as guppies and tetras.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #4 
Jupiter

Neon tetras are a risk-sometimes bettas eat them sometimes neons nip at them, and sometimes they get along fine.

White cloud minnows are a peaceful community fish, as well as corydoras catfish. But it really depends on your bettas' personality.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #5 
Erik

I have 5 black neon tetras and 5 cory cats in a 20 gallon with my betta, the only issue I ever have is my betta trying to eat everyone elses dinner
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #6 
puppyrjjkm

I had neon tetras, cories, hatchetfish, and platies in my 29 gallon with a male betta, and then later with my sorority. Everyone got along :) Good luck with your tank!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:10 AM   #7 
Hadouken441

Everytime I hear about people having mean bettas it makes me laugh because mine are so nice its silly. I have a male with a variety of fish and there are no problems at all haha. 30 gallon with 7 Neons, 5 Zebra Danio,3 Corys, Angelfish ( Most people shun this but they look right at eachother and the betta didnt even flair) and 2 Tiger barbs believe it or not. No fighting, and the only nipping is the fish nipping the same species (barb nipping barb, danio chasing nipping) Tank has been up for a while now also. And FYI i didnt stock the tank my stupid parents did haha If it were me I wouldnt have done the jumps that they did.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:29 AM   #8 
bloo97

Are thre any betta friends that don't need to school?
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #9 
1fish2fish

The only tank mates for bettas that don't school would be non-fish tank mates such as snails and shrimp.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #10 
bloo97

Darn >:(
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote